PDA

View Full Version : To The Smith Strings I Used Before...

Ronson Hall
05-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Hey Ken & Other Interested Folks!

I just found an empty pack of the Smith Strings I use to use on my Ibanez. The strings were "Rock Masters" and they were medium light ST. the gauges were 45 - 65 - 80 - 100, with the "B" string being a 125 tapered string.

Question: Is there a set already offered in the Taper Core Round Wound series in the "medium light" area (would the AA-TCRML-5 be what I'm looking for?), and would a set of these change the wonderful tone I'm already getting in a drastic way? :confused:

If so, I'll just "tough it out" with the Medium Wounds I'm using (the tone is killer, and I don't want to disturb it). However, those "medium lights" were a little better to my fingers!

Tim Bishop
05-23-2007, 06:26 PM
Hey Ken & Other Interested Folks!

I just found an empty pack of the Smith Strings I use to use on my Ibanez. The strings were "Rock Masters" and they were medium light ST. the gauges were 45 - 65 - 80 - 100, with the "B" string being a 125 tapered string.

Question: Is there a set already offered in the Taper Core Round Wound series in the "medium light" area (would the AA-TCRML-5 be what I'm looking for?), and would a set of these change the wonderful tone I'm already getting in a drastic way? :confused:

If so, I'll just "tough it out" with the Medium Wounds I'm using (the tone is killer, and I don't want to disturb it). However, those "medium lights" were a little better to my fingers!

Ronson,

Sounds like you are looking for TCRML 5's .044 .063 .080T .102T .125T. Ken has them!

My unsolicited advice: I'd stick to the Medium Taper Cores if I were you.

Also, IF you do decide to go to the lighter set, be sure and re-tune and re-adjust your neck for the lighter guage strings. As far as the lighter set changing the "wonderful tone"??? It all depends on the set-up and what you want to hear and feel with the lighter strings. :rolleyes:

Ronson Hall
05-24-2007, 12:03 AM
Ronson,

Sounds like you are looking for TCRML 5's .044 .063 .080T .102T .125T. Ken has them!

My unsolicited advice: I'd stick to the Medium Taper Cores if I were you.

Also, IF you do decide to go to the lighter set, be sure and re-tune and re-adjust your neck for the lighter guage strings. As far as the lighter set changing the "wonderful tone"??? It all depends on the set-up and what you want to hear and feel with the lighter strings. :rolleyes:

Tim, you're right on the money concerning sticking to the Medium Taper Cores. I PMed Ken, and he suggested the same thing.

That's what I'm going to do. My fingers are just a little torn up, but they're getting a lot better, and the tone I have now is what I've been looking for all my life. I'm not going backwards, no sir!! ;)