PDA

View Full Version : bridge height adjusters

davidseidel
01-23-2007, 07:29 AM
Does anyone have info on the best adjusters and where to get them?

Ken Smith
01-23-2007, 08:33 AM
I think that is a subjective question. Lets here from Jeff and Arnold on this one who each may not agree on what they personally like just to see how favorites vary regardless of results.

Boys??

I have adjusters from Arnold and Jeff and they all work as well as the walnut handle ones from Shen which I personally like the most. Shen sells them if you are interested but you may need to go thru a dealer like Arnold or Jeff. Those require two different sized holes upper and lower. The ones they like do not.

Jeff Bollbach
01-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Arnold and I usually use custom one piece aluminum adjusters with some slight variations of style. But I think we both would agree that the adjusters that Lemur sells are extremely fine quality and are probably the best available to the average person. These were designed by Bob Stenholm who also made some impressive low C machines.

Johnny Layton
01-23-2007, 07:00 PM
I've seen bridge adjusters mounted such that the strings could be adjusted individually...above the heart (?) of the bridge rather than above the feet.

Have any of you tried bridges with these adjusters? What do you think and feel about them?

Jeff Bollbach
01-23-2007, 08:43 PM
I assume you mean MPM bridges.When I first saw them I thought they would never work. Having been to Mike Pecanic's place and seen one of these guys I changed my mind. They are well made and work. I can't comment on the tone or longevity though as I just haven't seen enough of them.

davidseidel
01-24-2007, 06:27 AM
Thanks Jeff for the advice - just wondering though which Lemur ones you refer to to buy as they have several listed?

davidseidel
01-24-2007, 07:39 AM
I think that is a subjective question. Lets here from Jeff and Arnold on this one who each may not agree on what they personally like just to see how favorites vary regardless of results.

Boys??

I have adjusters from Arnold and Jeff and they all work as well as the walnut handle ones from Shen which I personally like the most. Shen sells them if you are interested but you may need to go thru a dealer like Arnold or Jeff. Those require two different sized holes upper and lower. The ones they like do not.
thanks ken - re the shen adjusters are they easy enough to install compared to the ones Arnold and jeff prefer?

Johnny Layton
01-24-2007, 12:18 PM
I assume you mean MPM bridges.When I first saw them I thought they would never work. Having been to Mike Pecanic's place and seen one of these guys I changed my mind. They are well made and work. I can't comment on the tone or longevity though as I just haven't seen enough of them.

Thanks, Jeff. Yeah I think those are the ones I've seen pictures of. I don't know if anyone else is doing something similar.

I think I'm going to get one and have a setup done with it in the near future.

Jeff Bollbach
01-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Thanks Jeff for the advice - just wondering though which Lemur ones you refer to to buy as they have several listed?

The ones listed as ebony. They have 3 sizes available-all are the same top quality.

Ken Smith
01-25-2007, 12:32 AM
thanks ken - re the shen adjusters are they easy enough to install compared to the ones Arnold and jeff prefer?

The Shen adjusters are the standard Aluminum ones that have been around for years but the wheels are replaced with Walnut handles for easier turning. These require a single hole drilled all the way in first, then one side reamed bigger. The aluminum ones Jeff uses are machined from a single piece and use the same size hole drilled on each side. Those are easier to install but I like wood handles when I can get them.

Jeff? Arnold?

davidseidel
01-25-2007, 07:50 AM
MPM - there are 2 types each called MPM right? Pecanic and also the german ones Mr Moser i think .... Had anyone checked those out? Maybe too compilcated for the job at hand? or? .....

Mike Pecanic
01-26-2007, 11:05 AM
Actually, I'm gonna drop the MPM appellation and just use "Pecanic" for my stuff, that should cut down on the confusion.

Arnold Schnitzer
01-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Would a person who installs your accessories be correctly referred to as a "PecanicMechanic"? :D

Johnny Layton
01-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Hello, Mike Pecanic. When I measure my bridge, the outside of the legs are spread ~ 6 in. apart, and the top of the bridge reaches ~ 6 1/2 in. high from the top table. On my bass, the table arch is more pronounced than was on my Strunal and so it's probably about 7 in. high from the bottom feet to the top of the bridge.

With your bridges, are you talking about how far the feet are spread apart from the outside, the inside, or is it a different dimension?
http://www.mikepecanic.com/content.php?id=bass_bridges

Mike Pecanic
01-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Hey Ken, is this ok?

Hi Johnny,
Actually I need ALL of the dimensions, the inside spread, the outside spread of the feet, as well as the current string height of each string off the table. Then we can talk about what you are wanting the bridge to do, up and down, just down, just up, etc.

Arnold, you're partially right as in 49 states Pecanic rhymes with mechanic. In Arizona the proper pronouciation is more like "peck-a-nick", and in Croatia it's pronounced "pech-e-nich" while in Bulgaria I think the pronounciation sounds more like "crap-4-brains"...never much liked them anyway...

Ken Smith
01-28-2007, 04:29 PM
Hey Ken, is this ok?

Hi Johnny,
Actually I need ALL of the dimensions, the inside spread, the outside spread of the feet, as well as the current string height of each string off the table. Then we can talk about what you are wanting the bridge to do, up and down, just down, just up, etc.

Arnold, you're partially right as in 49 states Pecanic rhymes with mechanic. In Arizona the proper pronouciation is more like "peck-a-nick", and in Croatia it's pronounced "pech-e-nich" while in Bulgaria I think the pronounciation sounds more like "crap-4-brains"...never much liked them anyway...

Which part are you questioning, the Bulgarian? ..lol

Johnny Layton
01-28-2007, 10:49 PM
Hi Johnny,

Well I was kinda thinkin' maybe I could just rough-cut it, and then swap out the adjusters for roman candle holders.

I play in open position while standing and so the bridge will be angled up...no one should get hurt. :D

Jonas Lohse
06-13-2007, 09:46 AM
MPM - there are 2 types each called MPM right? Pecanic and also the german ones Mr Moser i think .... Had anyone checked those out? Maybe too compilcated for the job at hand? or? .....
Actually, the Moser adjusters are much easier to install than regular type adjusters. You don't need to drill through the feet – you cut the feet off first, then drill.
(BTW, Mr Moser is from Austria, not from Germany. However, they speak German there, too.)

Anselm Hauke
06-13-2007, 09:59 AM
i have mr. mosers adjusters on two of my basses. one with included full-circle pickup.
i like them.
i met mr. moser at last musikmesse in frankfurt. he´s a nice guy.
(i met jonas there too, also nice guy :))

EDIT: i added an animated gif of a moseradjuster, hope i works...
EDIT2: it works if you click it.
its a ball-joint, so you can adjust a different height on each bridge-leg
EDIT3: http://www.moser-klangwerkstatt.com/

David Powell
06-13-2007, 11:40 AM
That thing looks like it's dancing. :D

Johnny Layton
08-07-2007, 12:12 PM
I've not seen the Moser adjusters before. Good idea, very nice!

Still, the Pecanic ajusters offer a little more versatility.