PDA

View Full Version : Hello from London

Ian Davies
06-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Hello everyone, it's nice to be here in Ken's Corner.
This is the first time I've joined a forum but I've just got a Ken Smith 'Burner' 5 string and I'm so happy with I just wanted to share it with you all.
Thanks.

Steve_M
06-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Hi Ian, welcome aboard :)

Ian Davies
06-13-2007, 04:31 AM
Thanks, nice to be here.

Steve_M
06-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Got any pics of yer Burner then? :)

What kind of music/other gear do you have?

Ian Davies
06-14-2007, 09:00 AM
The body is ash, with EMG pick-ups and a Wilkinson bridge.
I think this is a little unusual and maybe someone altered the bass before me and added the EMGs and Wilkinson. Either way it sounds really great, with a fantastic B string, a fast and comfy neck and the whole bass is quite light weight.
The bass is a bit battered and it's been well used but that just adds to the charm.
Here she is in all her glory!

Steve_M
06-15-2007, 04:30 AM
I'll admit to a soft spot for battered beater basses. The wear and tear, so long as its superficial, mellows the bass out. Plus noone has to worry about a little extra ding every now and then.

Ken can sell you some replacement parts, if you ever want to restore your instrument, too.

Ian Davies
06-17-2007, 09:13 AM
It's good to know that I could restore the bass with proper Ken Smith parts, something for me to think about for the future.

What I would really like to know is which polish to get?
I know Ken Smith does 2 types (one for Lacquer Finish and one for oil/ varnish finish).
I think I need the lacquer finish polish for the body but I'm not too sure what I should use for the neck?

Any suggestions?

Steve_M
06-18-2007, 08:09 AM
What finish does the neck have perchance? Oil?

Simon Bridgeman
06-19-2007, 10:20 AM
[QUOTE=Ian Davies;4925]The body is ash, with EMG pick-ups and a Wilkinson bridge.
I think this is a little unusual and maybe someone altered the bass before me and added the EMGs and Wilkinson. Either way it sounds really great, with a fantastic B string, a fast and comfy neck and the whole bass is quite light weight.
The bass is a bit battered and it's been well used but that just adds to the charm.
Here she is in all her glory![Hi mate my name is Simon from luton uk. The bass you got,did you get it from the gallery? ]]

Ian Davies
06-19-2007, 02:33 PM
Hi Steve
The neck has a lacquer finish, the same as the body.

Hi Simon
Nice to chat with on the phone earlier.
Yes I did get the Bass from the Gallery, I like going there because I feel I can really trust Martin and the guys.
(PS, for people not in London The Gallery is a Bass Guitar shop in London which have a great selected of high end basses and it's where I got my Ken Smith 'Burner' from).

Steve_M
06-23-2007, 04:32 PM
Hi Ian, with a lacquer finish it probably doesn't need a lot of special attention.

Its not all been smooth sailing where Martin is concerned. I've found he does tend to play up the difficulty level of some repair jobs unnecessarily. Others on the forum I own and run have found he runs hot and cold depending on his mood when they visit.

He's got probably the best selection of used basses of any retailer in the UK at the moment - one guy is using him to clear his collection of 70's Fenders!