PDA

View Full Version : Hello from China!

Mike Carr
06-14-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm Mike Carr. I'm an American bass player, currently living and playing in China.
I play mostly double bass these days, but still enjoy playing electric bass if a particular situation calls for it. I like just about all kinds of music. I have played the bass for 35 years, starting as a teenager. About 15 years ago I was very lucky to be in a position to begin the study of the double bass in earnest. This was the best decision I've ever made in life!

Steve_M
06-15-2007, 12:24 AM
Hi Mike, I worked in Nanjing for two years and after that, made regular visits to Tianjin. Whereabouts are you based? Shanghai? Beijing?

Mike Carr
06-15-2007, 05:44 AM
Hangzhou, about 100 km. from Shanghai. It's a wonderful city of about 5 million. I have a steady gig here playing bass nightly as part of a very good trio with other ex-pats. I'm having a lot of fun playing here!

Steve_M
06-15-2007, 06:50 AM
Oh yes, the highway from Nanjing to Hangzhou has a lot of my landscape design along it (at least it started out being mine but... ...well, the local design institute got involved too.) Given it was supposed to have been finished a few years back, I'll have to look at Google Earth and see how it turned out.

I had some good fun sitting in with bands when they visited the Irish bar 'Danny's' at the Sheraton in Nanjing.