PDA

View Full Version : Streicher: My Way of Playing the Double Bass

Nick Hart
01-23-2007, 02:01 PM
So I'm a college student who loves to practice always looking for a good methods to help improve technique and intonation.

I recommend these books. They have great exercises. Kind of Simandlish but much more melodic and great exercises. Each one has various dynamics, articulations and string crossings. So far one of my favorite method books.

What are your guys's experience with these books.

Ken Smith
01-23-2007, 04:36 PM
So I'm a college student who loves to practice always looking for a good methods to help improve technique and intonation.

I recommend these books. They have great exercises. Kind of Simandlish but much more melodic and great exercises. Each one has various dynamics, articulations and string crossings. So far one of my favorite method books.

What are your guys's experience with these books.

Where are these available? This is the first time I've heard they were Simandlish. That's a plus in my book..

Nick Hart
01-23-2007, 10:45 PM
They are available pretty much anywhere. They are in numerous volumes. I am up to volume 4. You can definately get them from lemur, but I got them from the school library.

By Simandlish, I mean that they are great technical exercises, but I enjoy them a little more. Also, Streicher tends to use excerpts and solos throughout the book, and more illustrations. All in all I think its a great book.

Jake Newcomb
01-24-2007, 02:28 AM
I haven't done any etude/method book stuff since my first year of school where Prof. Bradetich had all his new students- freshmans, transfers, and grad students doing certain etudes in the Int. Kreutzer book and The Bille Method book five #5. Everybody who was willing to work on this stuff every day improved leaps and bounds in their technique.
The Streicher books sound good. You can learn a lot from working on different kinds of actual pieces, but I am thinking out checking out these books in hope of finding some good etudes to work on specific things technique-wise.

Jarrah Al Sabah
01-24-2007, 08:35 AM
I have this book I got from Ken Smith when I bought my bass from him, its called "My First Simandl". It's great ! It is also melodic, and gives you great technique, plus it gets harder as you progress through it.. It is sometimes frustrating at times, but its practice hehe.