PDA

View Full Version : Which 'B'?

Ken Smith
07-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Which 'B' string responds the best to fast bowing? I am playing the Storm (B' 6th) and the 2 Bar phrases on the B and E strings with 16ths at half note=80 is so hard to get a real note sound bowing at that speed. The fast slurs are not as hard (not easy either) as I play 4/bow but the fast single note 16ths are tough.

I have the 5er at home to practice on but am also using one of my C-ext Basses at the office to see if I might be able to move quick enough to play it on that. That would make it easier especially for the arpeggio parts. Having one less string to jump around on with the bow and fingers is easier to me than shifting.

Hitting my knuckles on the 'G' tuner while using the Ext. at high speeds is my other problem.

One thing for sure is that Bowing an E/C string is much easier then a low B!

Playing the 5er has its ups and downs.:( Bowing fast 16ths is one of the 'downs' as well as jumping across the strings quickly not to mention confusing.:confused:

Jeff Moote
07-18-2007, 04:25 PM
I've heard very good things about the response and tone of the Spirocore low B. All the Toronto guys use a Spiro E/C, and most of the 5ths guys are using a Spiro for their low C. I agree though, bowing an E/C (I've mainly tried the Spiro as mentioned above) is much easier!

I think the brightness traditionally associated with Spiros for bowing is something we can appreciate on the really low strings that need all the help they can get to speak.

Ken Smith
07-18-2007, 04:35 PM
I've heard very good things about the response and tone of the Spirocore low B. All the Toronto guys use a Spiro E/C, and most of the 5ths guys are using a Spiro for their low C. I agree though, bowing an E/C (I've mainly tried the Spiro as mentioned above) is much easier!

I think the brightness traditionally associated with Spiros for bowing is something we can appreciate on the really low strings that need all the help they can get to speak.

Great, that gives me an idea. Also, I have used a Superflexible E/C on a couple of Basses and an E (full set) on another. That String seems less noisy than does the Reds. I wonder if The SF 'B' might not also be a candidate!

Jeff Moote
07-18-2007, 04:39 PM
I don't know anything about the Superflexibles, but they're generally similar to Spiros but maybe a bit more friendly to the bow (so I've been told)?

Either way, both are cheap low Bs: in the $40-45 range, vs $65+ for anything by Pirastro.

paulunger
07-18-2007, 09:27 PM
I'm using a Sprocore for a low B/C. It seems to speak more clearly. My second place choice would be the Helicore Hybrid. (It actually responds better than the orchestral gauge). I have tried the Superflexible in the past and did not like it. It was extremely thick and there was little definition to the pitch. It also didn't bow much different than a spirocore. Hope that helps.

Jeff Moote
07-18-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm using a Sprocore for a low B/C. It seems to speak more clearly. My second place choice would be the Helicore Hybrid. (It actually responds better than the orchestral gauge). I have tried the Superflexible in the past and did not like it. It was extremely thick and there was little definition to the pitch. It also didn't bow much different than a spirocore. Hope that helps.Good to know!

Jeff Moote
08-16-2007, 10:48 PM
I just put on the Spiro low C - it bows well, so I'm pleased. I have no reference except from these notes as produced by an extension E/C and they sound pretty similar, if not bigger, so as far as I'm concerned it's good. There might be better, but for now I'll stick with the Spiro...

Pete George
08-23-2007, 01:12 PM
I used to use Jazzers on B and E on my Kolstein Fendt, and they were surprisingly good. I liked the Spirocores even better. I'm not sure which way I'm going to go on my new 5-string, but I'm dying to try the Evah Pirazzi B.

Calvin Marks
05-28-2008, 06:53 PM

The Spiro low C is very 2003, we now tend to like the Belcanto low C in Toronto..heh

Ken Smith
10-21-2008, 08:02 AM
I started this over a year ago when working on the 6th. I had originally flex 92s, G & D and Perms, A, E and B. I then put the 92s on the A & E as well and just kept the Perm B on. Then after all that, I ended up doing the Storm on my Gilkes which was out on trial when I started this thread. Having a 41" SL made the Ext. fingering easier and closer. Also, I had just put a new set of EVs on the Bass and all the notes just popped out nicely. Then, I sold the 5er so it was no more choices between the Ext. or 5er for the low note works.

Now I have another 5er just in and this Bass is even bigger than the last one. The new one is bigger everywhere. If that was a 7/8, then this one is at least a 4/4 if not a 5/4. The Lower bout just over 30". The center bout is from 17-18". The body is about 48". I will post a page later when I take the pics but for now, I am back on the String hunt..

So, the Bs mentioned (not in any order) were Perms, Spiros (red mittels?), Bels, Heli's (both types) and Super Flexs.. I have also myself used a Jaegar Blue/med. and have seen 92s, Orig FC, FC and Orig Flex Bs pictured as well on European Basses.

Also, my new 5er is only about a 41" string length. This is due to the high placement of the FFs.

So.. now that we have had a year or so since we last discussed this, have any feelings changes as to what the better Bs are to try?. This Bass has Obligatos on now with a FC 'B' on it. The B feels too soft. With the Bridge curve, the B is so much lower to the body than the E and A. Should I move the B to a different Post like I do with reversing the E and As on 4-strings?

Pete George
11-13-2008, 10:16 PM
I used to use Jazzers on B and E on my Kolstein Fendt, and they were surprisingly good. I liked the Spirocores even better. I'm not sure which way I'm going to go on my new 5-string, but I'm dying to try the Evah Pirazzi B.

The Spiro B appears to be the best choice on the Elias as well -- for me, anyway. Plenty of power, and it articulates as well as anything I've tried.

Ken Smith
12-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Does anyone have an old usable 'B' they could send my way to cut down on testing costs? Spiro, Superflexable, Permanent? Something?:confused:

Arnold Schnitzer
12-07-2008, 03:18 PM
I just strung up a new fiver. I had a new set of BelCantos already for the top four, so I needed a low B that would blend, but with gusto. My supplier had just a few in stock, so I chose a Thomastic Superflexible (rope core, blue silk ends). I remembered that Orin O'Brien and others in the NY Philharmonic section use this as their low string. It works beautifully. Clear, strong fundamental, and pretty good grab with the bow. Not quite as easy to grab as the BelCantos, but worth it for the slightly brighter tone, which I feel you want on the bottom. My pet peeve with many string sets (mainly Pirastro) is that as you progress from top to bottom, the strings seem to get increasingly dark. I believe the opposite is desireable. By the way, this string measures a whopping .147"!

Anselm Hauke
12-08-2008, 04:29 AM
+1 on the superflexible
when i had my symphony-orchestra job i had a complete (very old) set of superflex on my fiver.
bowing was great, pizz very good, and the low strings were bright enough to hear yourself good in the section