PDA

View Full Version : Bass Id

Dave Watts
08-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Hello,

I've had my bass for about 20 years, and although it looks terrible its a great sounding jazz bass. That said, I really don't know much about it and I was wondering if anyone might be able to shed some light on it. I was told it's maybe a german production bass, but some parts looked to be hand carved. Inside the label reads: Antonius Stradivarius Copy. I'm going to try and attach some photos if that would help at all. Any guesses would be appreciated, thanks

Dave

Ken Smith
08-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Better photos would help but I do have an opinion from what I can see.

It does look Germanic and factory made. I don't know what you see that looks handmade but it is a pure factory Bass. The bass looks beat pretty good. Ripping up the edges like that with the damage beyond the varnish is not a good sign of care.

The back seems like it might be plywood and the purfling on the back looks painted while the top purfling looks inlaid. Like I said better pics or personal inspection would be best to be sure.

I Think it's a post wwII Bass from what I see as well.

Dave Watts
08-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks Ken! It's too bad about the bass, apart from one accident on my part, I've taken really good care of it. All the bad stuff you see was from the previous owner, and I'm still trying to figure out how half of it was caused. I've invested in making sure it has a great set-up, including a new fingerboard and it's a loud, punchy instrument which is suprising for what it is. Thanks again for your advice, it's always appreciated!

Dave