PDA

View Full Version : "Speakon" Cable: A Big Difference, or Not?

Ronson Hall
09-14-2007, 01:19 AM
I've been discussing Eden amps & cabinets with Tim, and strolling through various music shops to compare the gear. I've noticed that, since I acquired my Eden Traveler Plus amp, almost every amp worth its salt has the option of a 1/4" out, or a "Speakon" out installed (cabs as well).

I've yet to use a Speakon cable. Are there pros and cons with it? Does one lose anything in terms of signal at all? :confused:

Desmund Nichols
09-14-2007, 01:23 AM
I only use speakon (twist and lock) cables. THey are better becuase the cable never falls out. I use to use the red and black speakon cables, and they would fall out, and the 1/4 inch would always twist, so i only use twist and lock cable.

Albert Smith
09-14-2007, 07:51 AM
Ronson I use the Speakon twist lock cables with my ampeg rig, when you have high output amplification rigs its suggested to utilize the speakon jack versus the norm. Its designed to handle the load more efficiently.
So far as sound quality to be honest I really don't notice that much of a difference. :cool:

Tim Bishop
09-14-2007, 08:46 AM
I've been discussing Eden amps & cabinets with Tim, and strolling through various music shops to compare the gear. I've noticed that, since I acquired my Eden Traveler Plus amp, almost every amp worth its salt has the option of a 1/4" out, or a "Speakon" out installed (cabs as well).

I've yet to use a Speakon cable. Are there pros and cons with it? Does one lose anything in terms of signal at all? :confused:

Pros: It's a high output cable and provides a secure connection.

Cons: The cables are costly and proprietary.

Short story.........

One time, right in the middle of a gig while I was playing, I noticed a drastic drop in output level :eek: . It wasn't until the evening was over that I learned the Bananna Plug had vibrated out of the amp, thus, eliminating one of my cabs. I played half that evening with only half the output level I needed! I was not a happy camper....:mad:.... So, I do like the security Neutrik provides with their twist-lock Speakon connection.

"Do you loose anything in terms of signal / Is there a big difference"? - I'm not hearing it and I don't think so; provided the alternative is a high quality 1/4 or Bananna Plug type of cable.

Bill Doss
09-14-2007, 02:56 PM
There is no power or sound diference. It is only designed as a secure connection. Most high power amp/cabs recommend using that type of conector to eliminate the possibily of the sound pressure inside the cab pushing the 1/4 inch cable out of the plug and potentialy damaging the head (tubes) with no load on the power amp.