PDA

View Full Version : quick northern CA intro

Harry Bridge
09-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Hi everybody, I just joined the forum over the weekend and wanted to introduce myself. You can find out who I am and why I'm here in my profile, but basically I have been thinking about getting a 6-string bass. I am mainly a 4-string player, but I also play a little guitar (though I try not to! ;) ), even littler mandolin, as well as "baritone" style basses (I've got one of the MIJ Fender Bass VI reissues and an Alembic baritone currently tuned A-A). I own a bunch of basses, almost all of them pre-'80s - my current favorites are a '67 Guild Starfire I and '85 Alembic Exploiter. I don't play professionally, but I record my own stuff - the bass is the main instrument in all of it - check out my MySpace page if you're interested.

Anyway, I still keep thinking about a 6-string! Played some Zon 5-strings - not sure how I feel about those. Played a pretty nice Spector USA bolt-on 6-string. And of course, I've been drooling over the pictures at kensmithbass.com!!! So I'm researching and looking and thought I should register here as well. I'm pretty sure I want 34" scale. Not sure about neck-width and string spacing. Like I said, I've got a bunch of basses and enjoy the differences between them, both sound- and feel-wise.

Well, that's enough from me for now - I might have some more questions later!

Bill Doss
09-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Welcome to the club from another Norcal member! :)

Tim Bishop
09-17-2007, 09:22 PM
Hi everybody, I just joined the forum over the weekend and wanted to introduce myself. You can find out who I am and why I'm here in my profile, but basically I have been thinking about getting a 6-string bass. I am mainly a 4-string player, but I also play a little guitar (though I try not to! ;) ), even littler mandolin, as well as "baritone" style basses (I've got one of the MIJ Fender Bass VI reissues and an Alembic baritone currently tuned A-A). I own a bunch of basses, almost all of them pre-'80s - my current favorites are a '67 Guild Starfire I and '85 Alembic Exploiter. I don't play professionally, but I record my own stuff - the bass is the main instrument in all of it - check out my MySpace page if you're interested.

Anyway, I still keep thinking about a 6-string! Played some Zon 5-strings - not sure how I feel about those. Played a pretty nice Spector USA bolt-on 6-string. And of course, I've been drooling over the pictures at kensmithbass.com!!! So I'm researching and looking and thought I should register here as well. I'm pretty sure I want 34" scale. Not sure about neck-width and string spacing. Like I said, I've got a bunch of basses and enjoy the differences between them, both sound- and feel-wise.

Well, that's enough from me for now - I might have some more questions later!

Hi Harry, welcome to the Forum. You have mail!

Harry Bridge
09-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks guys! I asked some questions over here (http://www.smithbassforums.com/showthread.php?t=500). Tim, I will be emailing you back at some point - just haven't had the chance!