PDA

View Full Version : The Big Question.

Richard Prowse
09-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Okay, I hope I'm not going over well worn ground with this one, but...
There's things about my playing that I'm not happy with. I suspect that the way I play ultimately reflects how I do things or who I am. I'm not trying to be 'deep' here, it's just that when I hear myself recorded, no matter how hard I try, the same old overall sound seems to (re)surface.
I know that there's always room to work on intonation and timing. What I'm trying to get to is the essence of good practice. How can I really practice to lift my standard of playing?
Here's what I know, I'm hoping that someone will have better ideas:

Long slow bows - listening to tone (pizz. exercises).
Scales and arpeggios - for fingerboard familiarity, a chance to practise different bowings (or pizz.), listening to intonation.
Etudes - technically demanding, but achievable.
Repertoire - working on what is going to be played.Repitition and thinking will be important parts of any practise session.

Mark Mazurek
09-28-2007, 06:17 PM
My opinions about this are from the position of a fan and a recording engineer.
I am certainly not qualified as a player. (I play drums)

Most of the musicians I hear play, have a common problem of playing to their limit and beyond. They're 'showing off' in a sense, or trying to play the hardest thing they know (and hopefully nailing it).

Even when they 'nail it', something is missing.

When I hear truly beautiful playing of any kind (from classical to punk rok), it's usually someone playing 'technically' well below what they CAN play. The focus is on content, emotion, and tone. If the those are not going to be 'perfect' and sound beautiful, reel back a little bit.

I can sit and listen to a master play scales all day and enjoy it.

It took me many years as a drummer to 'stop' playing so damned much.
Nobody cares how good a drummer I am. They only like to listen to music.

This is not meant to say you're not doing these things, as I truly don't know. If I'm completely 'out to lunch' and you're having a specific tone problem, you can tie me down and jump on my face.

Richard Prowse
09-28-2007, 06:44 PM
My opinions about this are from the position of a fan and a recording engineer.
I am certainly not qualified as a player. (I play drums)

Most of the musicians I hear play, have a common problem of playing to their limit and beyond. They're 'showing off' in a sense, or trying to play the hardest thing they know (and hopefully nailing it).

Even when they 'nail it', something is missing.

When I hear truly beautiful playing of any kind (from classical to punk rok), it's usually someone playing 'technically' well below what they CAN play. The focus is on content, emotion, and tone. If the those are not going to be 'perfect' and sound beautiful, reel back a little bit.

I can sit and listen to a master play scales all day and enjoy it.

It took me many years as a drummer to 'stop' playing so damned much.
Nobody cares how good a drummer I am. They only like to listen to music.

This is not meant to say you're not doing these things, as I truly don't know. If I'm completely 'out to lunch' and you're having a specific tone problem, you can tie me down and jump on my face.
Well said, bull pit buddy. I've taken on board your excellent advice as I am often guilty of playing to the limit.

You're not out to lunch... and your face is safe.