PDA

View Full Version : Avalon U5

Mendell Beckford
10-10-2007, 02:24 PM
I recently purchased a used u5 and i am looking for feedback on the best way to maximize it's full potential.As an Eden user,Tim,you might be able to help on this one.Is there anyway to bypass the Eden 550 pre and go straight to the amp section?Right now i do not turn up the Eden pre past 9 o'clock because i do not want to risk damaging it.Also ,if anyone else has the knowledge feel free to school me.Thanks:confused:

Tim Bishop
10-10-2007, 03:51 PM
I recently purchased a used u5 and i am looking for feedback on the best way to maximize it's full potential.As an Eden user,Tim,you might be able to help on this one.Is there anyway to bypass the Eden 550 pre and go straight to the amp section?Right now i do not turn up the Eden pre past 9 o'clock because i do not want to risk damaging it.Also ,if anyone else has the knowledge feel free to school me.Thanks:confused:

Mendell, I have a couple of questions that quickly come to mind:

1. Why would you want to bi-pass the Eden pre-amp? :confused:

2. What do you mean by "turning up the Eden pre past 9 o'clock"? :confused: I suspect you mean the Gain and/or Master being turned up past 9? You're not going to hurt the 550 unless you take the load below 2 Ohms.

3. Can I assume you want to use the U5 as THE pre-amp and the 550 as the power source? If yes, the answer would be to run 'Out' of the U5 into the 'Effects Return' of the 550, thus, by-passing the 550's pre.

Tim B.

Mendell Beckford
10-11-2007, 12:42 AM

2. What do you mean by "turning up the Eden pre past 9 o'clock"? :confused: I suspect you mean the Gain and/or Master being turned up past 9? You're not going to hurt the 550 unless you take the load below 2 Ohms.

3. Can I assume you want to use the U5 as THE pre-amp and the 550 as the power source? If yes, the answer would be to run 'Out' of the U5 into the 'Effects Return' of the 550, thus, by-passing the 550's pre.

Tim B.
Your assumption (#3) would be right Tim.I'll try that.Thanks for the advice.Oh,btw,i meant the gain at 9 o'clock.

Tim Bishop
10-11-2007, 02:08 AM

Tim B.

Your assumption (#3) would be right Tim.I'll try that.Thanks for the advice.Oh,btw,i meant the gain at 9 o'clock.

Ok. Now I'm trying to understand why you would want to do this. Is there a specific reason why you would want to by-pass the 550 pre for the U5 pre?

Mendell Beckford
10-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Ok. Now I'm trying to understand why you would want to do this. Is there a specific reason why you would want to by-pass the 550 pre for the U5 pre?
Whenever i plug into the gain stage of the Eden coming from the Avalon,i get an incredible low frequency hum if i try to pass 9 o'clock with the Gain.I tried what you said last night(#3) and also got almost the same results,though not as severe as going through the gain stage.Clueless at this point:confused:

Tim Bishop
10-11-2007, 04:56 PM

Whenever i plug into the gain stage of the Eden coming from the Avalon,i get an incredible low frequency hum if i try to pass 9 o'clock with the Gain.I tried what you said last night(#3) and also got almost the same results,though not as severe as going through the gain stage.Clueless at this point:confused:

I'm sorry, I'm confused :( . So, you came out of the U5 'Out' into the front Input of the 550? If your answer is yes, than that would not be what you want to do.

Are you sure there are no issues with the U5, Eden or cable you are using? :confused: Also, double-check your 'Ground Lift' on the 550.

Also, I'm still a bit puzzled. Why would you not just want to use the 550 with it's pre-amp and other great features?

Another option if you want to use the U5 as your pre: Try going from your U5 'Out' to the 550 'Aux' In.

Mendell Beckford
10-13-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm sorry, I'm confused :( . So, you came out of the U5 'Out' into the front Input of the 550? If your answer is yes, than that would not be what you want to do.

Are you sure there are no issues with the U5, Eden or cable you are using? :confused: Also, double-check your 'Ground Lift' on the 550.

Also, I'm still a bit puzzled. Why would you not just want to use the 550 with it's pre-amp and other great features?

Another option if you want to use the U5 as your pre: Try going from your U5 'Out' to the 550 'Aux' In.
Hey Tim,I have been trying different settings both on the Avalon and the Eden while going directly through the gain stage with much better results.I think i'll take your advice.Since i paid for the 550,why not use all i'ts features:rolleyes:.Thanks for the help sir.Much appreciated.Btw,wish i had the duckets to take that Smith off your hands.Great looking bass

Tim Bishop
10-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Hey Tim,I have been trying different settings both on the Avalon and the Eden while going directly through the gain stage with much better results.I think i'll take your advice.Since i paid for the 550,why not use all i'ts features:rolleyes:.Thanks for the help sir.Much appreciated.Btw,wish i had the duckets to take that Smith off your hands.Great looking bass

The 550 is hard to beat. I use it mainly as a DI since I am on an in-ear system most of the time.

Did you try going out of the U5 into the 550 Aux In?

Mendell Beckford
10-15-2007, 06:43 PM
The 550 is hard to beat. I use it mainly as a DI since I am on an in-ear system most of the time.

Did you try going out of the U5 into the 550 Aux In?
I tried the aux with the same results.nothing but hum

Tim Bishop
10-15-2007, 07:03 PM
I tried the aux with the same results.nothing but hum

Hmmm, sounds like a bad cable and/or ground issue somewhere in the loop.

How is the 550 on its own? Any noise using it only with your bass?

Mendell Beckford
10-18-2007, 01:22 AM
Hmmm, sounds like a bad cable and/or ground issue somewhere in the loop.

How is the 550 on its own? Any noise using it only with your bass?
The 550 by itself is fine.I'll try another cable to see if that makes a difference.I'll let you know how it turns out.

Mendell Beckford
11-05-2007, 12:24 PM
The 550 by itself is fine.I'll try another cable to see if that makes a difference.I'll let you know how it turns out.
Hey Tim,as it turns out,an unshielded cable was the source of my frustration.Everything works fine now.Thanks for the help.

Tim Bishop
11-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Hey Tim,as it turns out,an unshielded cable was the source of my frustration.Everything works fine now.Thanks for the help.

Ahhh, that'l do it. I'm glad you got it resolved. :)