PDA

View Full Version : ?? Installation for Velvet Compass 180s ??

Ken Smith
10-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Hi, of all people I have a question about how to install these new Strings. I have two sets. One is lighter tension with black at both ends (left them in the office) and the other has black at one end with some red, blue, green, and twist on the E-C at the start of the black thread winding and red at the other end.

The Red/black are the medium tension strings (I think) and I have a long E/C extension string as well for that set.

Which end goes in the Tailpiece? There is no loop-end like the used to have. This is how the old ones looked before when I tried them 3 years ago;

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/GilkesBass/137.jpghttp://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/GilkesBass/119.jpg

It looks like a white colored loop end. Sorry I don't have better pics to show the string loop but I never thought this would be a problem for me of all people.

At this point I can only assume that the self-tie end (which ever end that is) was made this way this to adjust the length of string needed so the metal windings don't go over the tuner post.

Now I learned a few knots when I was a boy scout and I also used to fish and tie my own leader/hooks. I guess I will figure out what kind of knot to use eventually.

Also, when I figure this out (hopefully with some TB help) how much stretching should I expect? I have a small concert tomorrow night and want to try these new strings that I have heard so much about.

Ken Smith
10-16-2007, 03:52 PM
Ok, after about 2 hours, I got them on. Right or wrong, I have them on the Bass. The toughest string change I have ever had to do. I could barely get the Extension string in as it was barely long enough to get into the Post and wrap it twice before tuning it up. If I had 3 hands it would have been easier. If not for laying the Bass down over a couch propped up, 4 hands would have been needed.

I don't see how people will like changing these strings regardless of how good they are. Lst night after putting these on I was too worn out to even play the Bass. Tonight I have a Concert and will try them out and see how they do. Nothing major on the program so I can do a live test without risking my reputation.

The E/C doesn't seem to Bow all that quick and playing fast runs like in Beethoven seems a bit scratchy to my ear. For what it's worth, the strings I took off were regular Flexocor G,D and A with a Superflexible E/C. The Bow is an original certified C.N Bazin and I am using Kolstein Rosin. I don't think it's my equipment so it must be the strings on this particular Bass as they just seem a bit harder to Bow. Let's just wait and see as it really is too quick to judge. Plus, I don't have the energy for another String change..

After posting this on TB, CS Rep Nino informs me that the Red is up and black is down..oops..:eek:

So now I will have to turn the music upside down as well I guess.. lol

This was one of the reasons it took so long. I was waiting for someone to tell me which end is up! PLEASE, tell Velvet to fix their website and mention this in their FAQs. The drawings for installation are not much help. That much I can figure out on my own. On the knot, I used the same kind of knot that I would use to tie a Fishing hook. Unless a Shark attacks my Bass, I should be ok as I didn't use any steel leader..lol

It was 2 hours from my TB post till the job was done but I did other things as well. Phone, TV, computer and some food. If it was any other string it would have been easily under an hour with the extension which can take a few minutes more. Also, at the shop I use a small needle nose pliers to undo and pull the other strings out as well as thread new strings in tight places like this Bass has in the peg box. This Bass is not one of the easiest to get into the tuners so it took a little longer. Still, all in all, I wish the job was easier.

Now that the strings are on the Bass and I have to play tonight I will just keep tuning it every chance I get. This is a fairly light Bass to carry over my Gilkes, Martini and even the large Shen. I will take the risk and bring the Bisiach Bass as planned. I am also playing in the Media Jazz Festival near Philly Saturday with this Bass so I hope the tuning is all settled by then. After that I will have done a good musical test using it both in a Classical/pops-type concert as well as a Jazz combo gig with an amp.

I even went to the Velvet website. Maybe it doesn't matter but I would have liked to know if the Red was up or down before I had put them on. As delicate as these strings may be from what I have read, I don't know if I can afford to do it wrong and do it again without damaging the strings.

I have bought toys for my kids with better instructions. Plus, there is little play to tune the Bass and not get the lowest string on the Post. On my Bass, the A-string is the lowest. With the pegbox narrow already, having an extension doesn't help with threading thru the flexible ends.

I put them on this Bass (Velvets not shown in pic) and as you can see, the cheeks are tight;

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/Bisiach/images/bis5.jpghttp://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/Bisiach/images/bis7.jpg

This is a long but narrow Scroll/pegbox. Not much room to get my fingers in there. :(

Tonight will be the test. Let's see if I spend more time tuning or turning pages.. :eek:

Ken Smith
10-23-2007, 03:43 AM
Ok, I used them in an Orchestra Concert last Tuesday and a Jazz Club at the Media Jazz Festival in Pa. last Saturday night.

I can't complain because everyone liked my sound regardless of how little I could hear myself. I have them on one of my Basses that I usually practice with at home or take out occasionally to spare any possible damage to my more valuable Basses. I will leave them on that Bass as long as possible to give them a fair test.

They do feel real nice under the fingers and I can move quite fast on them as well. It's just so different that I don't know what to make of them yet.

As far as tuning and stretching, I didn't have any more problems with them than I did any other string. They settled in much faster than expected.