PDA

View Full Version : Wolf tone come and gone...

Ken Smith
11-08-2007, 11:16 AM
About two months ago I noticed a wolf tone on my open 'C' extension string on my Martini (Mantova, Italy 1919). As it bothered me more and more I called both Arnold and Jeff for their help in the manner. Fist I spoke with Jeff who told me all to look for including a bad string. Everything checked out and mostly I tried these things as well before hand. I then changed the strings and still had the problem.

Was it something inside then? The Bass was restored by Italy's best Luthier in 1999, Sergio Scaramelli. I didn't not expect to find a failing Bassbar and after looking inside and tapping outside all seemed tight as a drum and it was.

When Arnold returned my call he reminded me of the Neck/Fingerboard Joint which from the original soft Italian Oppio Maple Neck still in the Bass, was failing from time to time. The Bass came to me from Italy with 3 maple shims under the Fingerboard. I had Paul Biase (Biasie-Fantoni Violins NY, my old buddy) make a new Fingerboard and he removed the 3 shims. I supplied to him from my shop a single wedge shaped Ebony shim to replace not only the 3 maple shims but to make up for the wood removed on the Neck surface to get everything straight again before gluing.

The Fingerboard is a standard type Black Ebony (African or Indian, not really sure) with a brown spot here and there. The Shim we made here was Indonesian Macassar that we use here with our Basses which is actually harder and more stable than most other Ebonys but it has a dark grey/black striped grain. The edge was stained with a permanent marker to match the fingerboard.

All this was done to fix a long time failing Neck as the signs were clear from the previous 3 shims used. We just didn't see it that way and went for another Shim. Arnold has told me over and over again "the Martini needs a Neck Graft!". After all I have been through with this Bass between the first USA Neck Repair, putting new Tuning Gears on and re-cheeking the outside of the Pegbox, fitting an Extension afterwards and putting it up for sale to help finance the Gilkes purchase and restoration I was brain tired with this Bass and loved its tone.

I have been using the Martini mostly in recent weeks and last night saw the light. I mean really saw the LIGHT! While at rehearsal I looked at the Fingerboard from the low side around 1st position and saw light shining thru a small crack from the other side. I looked up and down the FB/NK joint and saw no less than 4 inches of separation. I tried some music paper but it was too thick to fit. After rehearsal I took the Bass back to the shop (10:30pm) got out the necessary tools and supplies, cleaned out 5 1/2 inches of a loose joint and re-glued the Neck to the Fingerboard.

This morning I cleaned up the remaining glue residue I missed last night and 'Frenched' the joint (French polished!), FB edge and Neck. The Bass is suddenly a bit more clear sounding and the low 'C' wolf is gone.

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/MartiniBass/extE.jpghttp://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/MartiniBass/extG.jpg

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/MartiniBass/martini6.JPGhttp://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/MartiniBass/sideE.jpg

Pics shown only for reference here of the FB/Shim/NK joint as this is my personal Bass and coming off the market.

Due to the history of this Neck and its past and current repairs, it is now and finally slated for a Neck Graft as soon as Arnold gets some space on his Bench. The Neck Block of wood to be used was already cut into to repair the lower Block area of my Hart Bass. This cut the usage of the Block from a full neck/scroll to a graft-only Block which I agreed to buy and have held for the Martini job.

They say that hind-sight is 20/20. This is so true. If I had seen this coming 3 years ago, I would have opted for a Neck graft then and saved all the time and trouble not to mention over 2k from the first NK/FB/Bridge repair/replacement. It's a good thing for this Bass that I like it. The value however will not be increased by this repair, but rather only brought back up to where it belongs.