PDA

View Full Version : My very first Ken Smith just arrived via ebay. :)

pederj
11-16-2007, 01:01 PM
It's even nicer than I imagined. It needs a setup, but it looks like it has never been played before, literally like brand new.

It's a Burner Deluxe 4 (Ash) from '96 I think, with serial number 971515DA4

This is meant to replace my Fender Jazz with something that's easier on the shoulder. Hope I made the right choice.

By the way, what kinds of pickups and electronics are in these mid nineties burner basses? Decent? will the bypass switch allow me to leave my bass plugged in without draining the battery?

http://i14.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/c0/76/4c6f_1.JPG

Ken Smith
11-16-2007, 10:02 PM
As soon as you plug the Bass in, you are draining the Battery. Unplug it when you are not playing it so make the battery last longer. Bypassing the circuit means only bypassing the battery powered preamp EQ section.

From 1993 on, the circuit used was the 4/5 knob BT/BMT Preamp. The Burners had only 4 knobs with Bass and Treble. The USA Smith Basses had the 5th knob midrange control as an option or standard depending on the model. Around 1996-1997 the 5knob became standard on all USA Smith Basses but the Burner and the BSR'B' Burner still only had 4-knobs.

The pickups in the 4 and 5 string models were Japan made J-pickups with the Bridge width on both positions.

Roy Diza
11-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Very nice, Congrats! :)

Roger Vaughan
12-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Hope it's alright I open this up again: I'm looking at a Burner Deluxe 4 as a trade deal for a bass rig. Is this a US-made bass?

Now I'm more interested in my instrument than my amp- I have trouble thinking of my amp as an instrument, see! But anyway, I want to ask a brutal question here, which is this- Is the Burner Deluxe (with dual skunk-stripe down the back, and some very curly dark wood as the body) worth, money-wise, a trade for a GK 2000RB (with the dual-fan mod) and a Peavey 412 TXF bass cab?

Dumb question? Maybe, but I'll have to buy an amp if I do this!

Thanks for any helpful reply.

Ken Smith
12-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Hope it's alright I open this up again: I'm looking at a Burner Deluxe 4 as a trade deal for a bass rig. Is this a US-made bass?

Now I'm more interested in my instrument than my amp- I have trouble thinking of my amp as an instrument, see! But anyway, I want to ask a brutal question here, which is this- Is the Burner Deluxe (with dual skunk-stripe down the back, and some very curly dark wood as the body) worth, money-wise, a trade for a GK 2000RB (with the dual-fan mod) and a Peavey 412 TXF bass cab?

Dumb question? Maybe, but I'll have to buy an amp if I do this!

Thanks for any helpful reply.

Figured maple or walnut body with 5-pc neck is not the Deluxe, it is the Custom model. If the body is 5-pc as well, it is the Artist model.

For more about the Burner series basses, read here; http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models/bsrb/bsrb.html