PDA

View Full Version : My 1st Smith PJ bass

James Watkins
11-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Hi Ken,

I am about to receive my 1st PJ Smith. I am very excited to say the least. The serial number is 85209. It has a walnut top and back with snowflake inlays and a maple core. I have a couple of questions for you in regards to this bass. First, how many of these instruments with this pickup configuration were produced? Second, were the pickups designed by you or did you have someone else make the pickups for you? I have included 3 pictures of this bass. Thanks for your time. I would love to hear from anyone else who might have one of these basses.

James

Ken Smith
11-20-2007, 11:53 PM
Hi Ken,

I am about to receive my 1st PJ Smith. I am very excited to say the least. The serial number is 85209. It has a walnut top and back with snowflake inlays and a maple core. I have a couple of questions for you in regards to this bass. First, how many of these instruments with this pickup configuration were produced? Second, were the pickups designed by you or did you have someone else make the pickups for you? I have included 3 pictures of this bass. Thanks for your time. I would love to hear from anyone else who might have one of these basses.

James

That is from the first batch of Basses we made in PA. in 1985 when we moved the operation out here. You have the 9th or 10th of the first batch of.. I forget how many, sorry. The #s started at 200 or 201. Your Bass is #209. The first 199 or sop Basses were made in NY. On the PJs, not many. A few in NY and a few in PA. A few JJs as well mixed in there. We settled on the current soapbar pickups for all Smith Basses as seen now on our instruments. The pickups were a similar design to the soapbars but in a P or J housing. Less wire and magnets but the same principal for tone.

Jeff Jenkins
03-15-2008, 03:36 AM
Proud new forum member. I just picked up #85205 P/J 4. It is identical to yours in the pics above. Apparently the walnut back has shrunk at some point and been repaired. I dont know who did the work, but I believe it couldve been done better.
Hey Ken, it seems the nut action is quite high. The bass plays well with the neck perfectly straight, but the distance at the nut from the bottom of the string to the top of fingerboard is considerably higher than most of my other basses. Just wondering if this is a normal way you dress your nut? Also, do you have a factory pickup height suggestion for these Smith P/J's? This is my second Smith bass. The first was a BSR6 Walnut top that I had about two years ago, it was probably an early 200? model. Liked it, but couldnt get used to the six, so I parted ways with it. I believe Im going to be very happy with this 85 Dovetail 4 P/J. BTW, Ive requested your freindship on myspace, Ken, so when you get a chance, hook me up so I can put you on my top friends with the other bass companies that I use. Thanks.
-Jeff Jenkins

Ken Smith
03-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Proud new forum member. I just picked up #85205 P/J 4. It is identical to yours in the pics above. Apparently the walnut back has shrunk at some point and been repaired. I dont know who did the work, but I believe it couldve been done better.
Hey Ken, it seems the nut action is quite high. The bass plays well with the neck perfectly straight, but the distance at the nut from the bottom of the string to the top of fingerboard is considerably higher than most of my other basses. Just wondering if this is a normal way you dress your nut? Also, do you have a factory pickup height suggestion for these Smith P/J's? This is my second Smith bass. The first was a BSR6 Walnut top that I had about two years ago, it was probably an early 200? model. Liked it, but couldnt get used to the six, so I parted ways with it. I believe Im going to be very happy with this 85 Dovetail 4 P/J. BTW, Ive requested your freindship on myspace, Ken, so when you get a chance, hook me up so I can put you on my top friends with the other bass companies that I use. Thanks.
-Jeff Jenkins

On a Bass over 10 years old it is possible the Frets were leveled and the Nut left as-is. That would make it high. If our string Nuts were too high when shipped out new, we would have heard about it by now. All of our Basses are shipped with Smith Tapercore medium gauged roundwound stainless strings since about 1983.

Basses are set up by feel because each one feels different. There are no exact numbers to give you, sorry. Again, Smith Basses have a comfortable feel when they leave the bench. What happens to them after that we have no control over. We get Basses shipped to us all the time for various repairs, modifications and set-up work as well. Perhaps your Bass needs some TLC directly from us.