PDA

View Full Version : contoured nut?

Scott Reed
12-04-2007, 04:11 PM
While looking over my bass last night, I noticed that the nut is contoured. Is this for aesthetic reasons only or does it serve some sort of purpose (like mass reduction)? Also, has Smith ever experimented with other materials, or possibly an adjustable nut?

I am rebuilding one of my old basses and toying with the idea of making my own nut (and bridge maybe). I've found very little information about the theory behind materials and mass and what affect they have on tone. Pearl, Bone, Nylon, Graphite, Brass, Steel, etc. Each manufacturer seems to have a preference but not much info on why. Any experience that any of you have would be appreciated.

Ken Smith
12-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Ok, hold the jokes guys...

I have made Bone (plastic?) nuts, Ebony Nuts and Brass Nuts. I have also re-cut some Graphite type Nuts as well.

I prefer either Ebony or Brass. The Brass has mass. Scalloped (contoured), it has slightly less mass. We did both types in the beginning on the Smith Basses. For the extra little time it takes, I prefer the look of the Scalloped design.

A Nut holds the strings in place and should be solid. The least amount of moving parts a Bass has, the better it will transfer the sound.

Adjustable Nuts? No thanks. It would have to be adjustable per string or just make it right to begin with.

Tim Bishop
12-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Ok, hold the jokes guys...

I have made Bone (plastic?) nuts, Ebony Nuts and Brass Nuts. I have also re-cut some Graphite type Nuts as well.

I prefer either Ebony or Brass. The Brass has mass. Scalloped (contoured), it has slightly less mass. We did both types in the beginning on the Smith Basses. For the extra little time it takes, I prefer the look of the Scalloped design.

A Nut holds the strings in place and should be solid. The least amount of moving parts a Bass has, the better it will transfer the sound.

Adjustable Nuts? No thanks. It would have to be adjustable per string or just make it right to begin with.

I'm sorry....LOL...."my nuts"??? Ken, I'm laughing so hard, it's taking me twice as long to type. LOL! :D You're nuts! :D :)

Hey, but seriously, it's like the Doc said, "if they don't have the right contour/shape, somethin is wrong". :D :D :D

Ken Smith
10-02-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm sorry....LOL...."my nuts"??? Ken, I'm laughing so hard, it's taking me twice as long to type. LOL! :D You're nuts! :D :)

Hey, but seriously, it's like the Doc said, "if they don't have the right contour/shape, somethin is wrong". :D :D :D

YEARSSSSS ago, when I was just in High School, my older brother (by 6 years) invited me out to a 'sweet shop' of some sort and I ordered either a banana split or a sunday of some kind. I gave the waitress a list of things that I wanted on it including some various kinds of nuts. When the dessert came over to the table I looked down at with a big smile and said "oh, my Nuts!!!" out loud letting the waitress know I was pleased with how they prepared my treat.. The young waitress replied.. "and your almonds too"! :eek:

True Story.. Guys.. you can't make this stuff up!..:D:D:D

Tim Bishop
10-02-2009, 07:24 PM
That's funny! :D

Greg Lorisco
10-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Did you get her phone number?