PDA

View Full Version : tendonitis

Vincent Maiolo
12-18-2007, 02:02 PM
ken, can you comment further on the types of instruments that may be more prone to transfer energy back rather than out,for example, fully carved vs hybrid vs laminated. thank you.

From 2005 Talk Bass:
"It is also Not just action. It is also the response of the Bass and how it vibrates under your fingers. If the energy transfers back into your hand, it will start to hurt after a short while. If the energy goes out thru the wood and FF holes, You will feel like you are 'riding on air'."

Ken Smith
12-18-2007, 04:28 PM
ken, can you comment further on the types of instruments that may be more prone to transfer energy back rather than out,for example, fully carved vs hybrid vs laminated. thank you.

From 2005 Talk Bass:
"It is also Not just action. It is also the response of the Bass and how it vibrates under your fingers. If the energy transfers back into your hand, it will start to hurt after a short while. If the energy goes out thru the wood and FF holes, You will feel like you are 'riding on air'."

That's a tough question. I think it's more of an individual bass-to-bass thing.

Unless I have every Bass that I have ever seen set-up to my personal specs and break it in myself, playing various Basses with various set-up for various players is not a science to comment on.

I was more or less quoting an observation. I played 2 of my Basses this past weekend. A Rehearsal and Concert on Friday with my Martini Bass and a Saturday and Sunday Concert with my Hart Bass.

The Martini is strung with Flexocor Starks and the Hart with regular Flexocors. The Hart feels looser all around but is a bigger Bass. The Martini feels more comfortable to hold and play but requires some extra Bow pressure for the Starks. The Hart being about double in value if not more has more sound period. The Martini is about the sweetest Bass I have played down to the low C. If a Bass is in its best repaired condition, you will be able to feel the difference from when it was not.