PDA

View Full Version : Set up/pick ups

Harry Scott
01-02-2008, 02:08 PM
I find that the rear pick ups on my BSR4GN impede my natural feel while playing, i.e they touch the tips of my fingers so that my fingers can't 'dig in' as much as I sometimes want them to and that that affects my fluency. I think that my touch might not be 'light' but I never had this problem on a Wal.

Perhaps I'm accustomed to my fingers going so far in freely pulling the strings and it feels odd when/if they can't, so much so that it upsets my flow.

If I push the mic down there is space for it to be more near the surface of the bass (more than even the height of the front pick up) but the screws don't seem to allow that much tightening.

Any solutions/hints/suggestions anyone?

Tim Bishop
01-02-2008, 03:55 PM
I've personally never experienced this and this is the first time I've heard something like this (which doesn't mean anything), however, maybe it's a matter of technique or the distinct differences in bass design. For the sake of my reply, I will assume by "digging in" you mean getting under the strings?

A couple of things:

1. Maybe your Bridge P/U height is set too high? Whether you have a light touch or not, and given the appropriate technique of playing at the Bridge P/U (i.e. not overly aggressive), I can't imagine how you would have a problem with this, unless of course, the P/U's are set too high (i.e. too close to your strings) for your playing style.

2. I would also agree, if you've grown accustomed to playing another bass with a different feel, you most likely would need an "adjustment period" (i.e. time to adjust to a different bass). An "adjustment period" would apply to ANY bass different in design from that which one has grown accustomed.

3. You should have reasonable, ample range to adjust the P/U height on your Smith (up or down) on either P/U accordingly.

When I play anywhere on TOP of the Smith Bridge P/U, the tips of my fingers are only grazing the top half or tops of the strings (depending on the sound I am trying to get). If I feel the need to dig in, I usually do so anywhere from the leading edge (i.e. neck-side) of the Bridge P/U towards the EOF (i.e. end of fretboard).

I would consider myself a dynamic player as far as technique is concerned. In other words, depending on what the tune demands, I may play with a light touch; I may play with MUCH aggression, or, somewhere in-between. I find that Smith Basses provide great flexibility: With the Smith Control's and EQ, I can dial in anything, no matter what my technique-of-the-moment may be; I'll adjust accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Harry Scott
01-02-2008, 04:55 PM
I've personally never experienced this. This is the first time I've heard something like this.

It sounds like your bridge P/U is too close to your strings? If you have a light touch (or not), I can't imagine how you would have a problem with this; unless of course, the P/U's are set too high (i.e. too close to your strings) for your playing style. You should have ample ability to adjust the height on either P/U's accordingly.

Thanks for your reply, Tim, good to have some authority when you need it.

It's a new bass and I'm having to do a lot of work with it to have it feel as fantastic and natural as I've had Ken Smiths feel in a shop.

My pick up problem may seem worse because of other problems which may be more or less pertinent to what I hope to end up with, which is an incredible sound (like i've heard from ken Smiths) and very good action.
I'm struggling to get a good tone and this may lead to me being aware of other aspects of my playing that are a bit of a problem. I'm just getting my callouses back but they're not as hard as they usually are and that may be affecting my sound and playing as well. Not having played a lot for a few months I could simply be out of practice. I think the scale of my new bass is slightly longer than the Wal and the frets may be further apart at the nut. Not sure about this. Might be an illusion.

One problem may be that I need some other combination of woods, (I have figured Walnut/Tiger Maple) but I feel sure I've played this combination and got a sound that I could work with. I've heard a phenomenal sound from the Smith/David Eden combination of one of my past teachers and from playing that combination in a shop. I always seem to get a good tone from Edens.

I'm using an SWR workingmen's 12 but I either have too much high end or too much middle.

Thinking about all this I could be noticing the pick up height and the closeness to the strings and seizing on it as a way of explaining to myself why I'm not getting the sound/feel/action that I want, but having lowered the pu as far as it wants to go, i find this better that before and I would lower it more - to at least the height of the front pick up, but though I can push the pick up down to that level it can't stay there because the screws won't go down that far!

The p/ups on the Wal are quite low...

I do tend to dig in a bit and with my Wal set up professionally I seem to get a buzz where other people find the action ok. I had to have the frets sandstoned/filed down on the Wal. I think I've played a Ken Smith (5 string) with lower action without buzz and good sound (Eden). Quite sure - and without feeling/noticing the p/ups...!

I don't think I'm going to solve this problem before my callouses are in good order anyway - probably in a few days time.

David Newcomb
01-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Take it to a bass tech and find out how low the pickup can really safely go, is what i would do. Sounds like you did the right thing stopping where it "feels" stopped, but a pro might be able to tweak it a little more.

I would think that if you bought the bass from a reputable retailer with a decent guy behind the workbench, you could get them to do a fair amount of tweaking for little or no cash outgo- seems the purchase of a high end bass guitar should have this kind of service attached to it... for a few weeks anyways.

Pickups are a very individual thing- I've always fought with jazz pickups mostly because i tend to use the top of the neck pickup as a thumbrest- and since I can relate to your pizz style of "really digging in", this hurts my thumb a lot on the jazz pickup! Henceforth I avoid instruments with jazz pickups...

Harry Scott
01-02-2008, 06:29 PM
I've personally never experienced this and this is the first time I've heard something like this (which doesn't mean anything), however, maybe it's a matter of technique or the distinct differences in bass design. For the sake of my reply, I will assume by "digging in" you mean getting under the strings?

A couple of things:

1. Maybe your Bridge P/U height is set too high? Whether you have a light touch or not, and given the appropriate technique of playing at the Bridge P/U (i.e. not overly aggressive), I can't imagine how you would have a problem with this, unless of course, the P/U's are set too high (i.e. too close to your strings) for your playing style.

2. I would also agree, if you've grown accustomed to playing another bass with a different feel, you most likely would need an "adjustment period" (i.e. time to adjust to a different bass). An "adjustment period" would apply to ANY bass different in design from that which one has grown accustomed.

3. You should have reasonable, ample range to adjust the P/U height on your Smith (up or down) on either P/U accordingly.

When I play anywhere on TOP of the Smith Bridge P/U, the tips of my fingers are only grazing the top half or tops of the strings (depending on the sound I am trying to get). If I feel the need to dig in, I usually do so anywhere from the leading edge (i.e. neck-side) of the Bridge P/U towards the EOF (i.e. end of fretboard).

I would consider myself a dynamic player as far as technique is concerned. In other words, depending on what the tune demands, I may play with a light touch; I may play with MUCH aggression, or, somewhere in-between. I find that Smith Basses provide great flexibility: With the Smith Control's and EQ, I can dial in anything, no matter what my technique-of-the-moment may be; I'll adjust accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the alert, Tim. There IS an arrow to indicate "more post" on the quote section of my previous post...I didn't see the rest of the post - which does address the issue. The whole thing has improved a bit in the last couple of hrs but unless I'm mistaken my rear P/U was a little high.

I don't dig in that much (i.e "under the strings"...I only use "pulling" as in "pulling bass". Just a kind of slang). Ordinarily my fingers extend a few millimetres towards the body beyond the string..but sometimes more millimetres perhaps.

I'm "adjusting". I think the Smith sound is worth the work. Bases are so individual. When I find one that "works" I should snap it up.

I'm working on this one though. I think I need an Eden.

As usual, thanks.

Btw, do different makes of bass have different spacings between the frets?

Harry Scott
01-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Hi Dave, I got this one from Ken. I think I have to do a lot of work with this bass to set it up properly for me. I need primarily to play it a lot...work out what I don't need to change as much as what I should...If I get the sound and action right the pick up thing will resolve itself I think.

Does anyone know if the P/U can go right down?

Tim Bishop
01-02-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm working on this one though. I think I need an Eden.

As usual, thanks.

Btw, do different makes of bass have different spacings between the frets?

Eden? :D Yes, I would agree with you; tone is everything. Eden and Smith are a GREAT combination. I have posted about Eden on this Forum and I use Eden Gear, however, if you would like some advice/recommendation on Eden gear, feel free to let me know as I would be more than happy point you to a "dream set-up"..

Yes, absolutely, "different makes of bass" can have different scale lengths among MANY other differences.

Sounds like you are on the right track Harry. Keep us posted on your progress. :)

Christopher Rhodes
01-03-2008, 09:06 AM
I always play around with the string height and pickup height on my smith basses. Seems like I am always searching for the correct feel. lately I am favoring more string control vice string height/actions. String control meaning, I am setting my action up a little higher than I normally do, so I have better/easier string control, vice an easier playing basses.

I have found I can play faster and cleaner with the strings raised up a bit.

Pickup up height is an issue also. I generally get the pickups close enought to get the sound, but not too close to the strings, or the strings will hit/touch the pickup - sometimes making an awful "clang" type noise - not musically at all.

Even with the raised action - I perform with a light touch.

Bottom line is that pickup height and string height/action is very subjective. Each player has to find his/her sweet spot.