PDA

View Full Version : Trim Pot

subfreq
01-30-2008, 03:55 PM
I was wondering if anyone has dialed their volume trim pot to make their Smith louder? I have mine set to the passive level. The reason why I'm posting this is because a sales man at Guitar Center had a used Smith bass and was comparing it to a Spector which was louder. So I showed him that the trim pot inside the next to the battery and he wanted set all the way up. There wasn't much difference in volume between the two basses, but that's what he wanted. Sh*t, I'm just a customer. He should know a thing or two considering he's in the bass department at GC.
Any way, back to the question: has anyone changed their setting and Ken, why did you decided to have that option?

Tim Bishop
01-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Guitar Center employees "knowing a thing or two"???? :eek: I would settle for one. :)

Mitchell Coates
02-04-2008, 11:32 AM
I had the same question and when I contacted the factory a while ago I was told it does increase the volume but it also effects the mid frequency. Being the experiental person that I am I adjusted the trim pot and to see what effect it has and yes it does effect the mid frequency range. If you change the setting too much when you turn the mid tone control it will affect the bass frequencies that is normally handled by the the bass tone control :( . Be careful with adjusting this trip pot because it will change not only the volume of the instrument but it also affects the tone of the bass as well. Hopefully Ken can shed more light on this issue as I do not know all of the technical stuff about it but my ears definetly heard a significant difference when the adjustment was made.

Ken, what is the real deal on this one?

Ken Smith
02-04-2008, 12:26 PM
I had the same question and when I contacted the factory a while ago I was told it does increase the volume but it also effects the mid frequency. Being the experiental person that I am I adjusted the trim pot and to see what effect it has and yes it does effect the mid frequency range. If you change the setting too much when you turn the mid tone control it will affect the bass frequencies that is normally handled by the the bass tone control :( . Be careful with adjusting this trip pot because it will change not only the volume of the instrument but it also affects the tone of the bass as well. Hopefully Ken can shed more light on this issue as I do not know all of the technical stuff about it but my ears definetly heard a significant difference when the adjustment was made.

Ken, what is the real deal on this one?

No, it is not a mid control. It is just LOCATED on the Mid board but not related. It makes things louder or softer and the Mid is more audible to the ear, that's all. Too much boost can distort your signal as well. That's why we set the active output at flat to the passive volume of the bass.