PDA

View Full Version : a realy personal features bass can increase the price of the bass guitar???

Ender López
02-17-2008, 04:20 PM
I just want to know how much can be increased the price of the bass if I make a little Changes to the size of the body and change the scale (make it in 32" scale) and how much could be Changed the sound by this new size and new scale

Ken Smith
02-17-2008, 06:04 PM
I just want to know how much can be increased the price of the bass if I make a little Changes to the size of the body and change the scale (make it in 32" scale) and how much could be Changed the sound by this new size and new scale

If it is a Smith Bass and you modify it, you will loose much of its Value. We only make the shapes and scale we make, sorry.

If it is another brand, I don't know or care. Ask over on TalkBass. This Forum is for Smith Basses only!

Matthew Tucker
02-17-2008, 10:18 PM
If it is another brand, I don't know or care. Ask over on TalkBass. This Forum is for Smith Basses only!

No its not. This is the Amps (DB) forum. Nothing to do with Smith Basses.

But it is the wrong forum to post in. Tioender, what you've asked in two lines is impossible to answer, because you haven't given enough information. You could ask (in the BG forum) - is there any way to increase the value of my "x" bass by making changes to it? And I think you might get the answer you want. But you might need to spend some money to get there.

(Ken it looks to me like you have a fan trying to increase the value of his bass so he can sell it and buy a Smith :D I reckon you might at least care!)

Bob Faulkner
02-18-2008, 11:26 AM
I think what he is asking is how much more it will cost to have a custom Smith bass made for him at 32" scale, etc.. The answer is, unknown, because KSB doesn't go that far in customizing basses. They couldn't let the necks acclimate properly, etc, if they made that kind of flexiblity in design. Also, when you play any number of Smith basses, they all will have a familiar feel and tone. A trait that goes out the window when you start allowing large variations in custom designs..

Ken Smith
02-18-2008, 02:06 PM
I think what he is asking is how much more it will cost to have a custom Smith bass made for him at 32" scale, etc.. The answer is, unknown, because KSB doesn't go that far in customizing basses. They couldn't let the necks acclimate properly, etc, if they made that kind of flexiblity in design. Also, when you play any number of Smith basses, they all will have a familiar feel and tone. A trait that goes out the window when you start allowing large variations in custom designs..

Well it would mainly be the design as we can use all the same old used woods. We don't have any slotting for 32" nor and design figures.

In 1980 when Stanley Clarke got his first Smith (1 of 4 he bought) he commented that it played so easy he thought it WAS a 32" scale and was surprised when I told him it was a 34".

Another player, a Female once commented that my 34" was easier to play than a 32" from another top/famous Bass builder. That was back in 1982.

So, 2" from the Nut to Bridge is no big deal if the Bass plays easy.