PDA

View Full Version : BT6EG Setup Help Needed

Mark Wolff
02-21-2008, 09:28 PM
I did several searches and could not find specifics on the following questions I have.

1. What is the the normal setup height for the bridge on my 6 string when it comes out of the shop?

2. What are the pickup heights off the strings originally?

3. What adjustment is recommended for the pickup poles?

I am wanting to set it back to factory specs and compare the sound.

Thanks, Mark.

Mark Wolff
02-27-2008, 05:52 AM
Still wondering...

Ken Smith
02-27-2008, 10:48 AM
I did several searches and could not find specifics on the following questions I have.

1. What is the the normal setup height for the bridge on my 6 string when it comes out of the shop?

2. What are the pickup heights off the strings originally?

3. What adjustment is recommended for the pickup poles?

I am wanting to set it back to factory specs and compare the sound.

Thanks, Mark.

This is all done by feel and not by a set of numbers. Each Bass is slightly different. The pickup poles are 'mostly' or almost flush with the pickup.

You forgot to ask about the neck relief! The Neck is set before the bridge is adjusted. The pickups are lowered till the strings pressed at the 24th fret can hit the poles easily. This is a 'feel' set up because each Bass has slightly different feel and tension.

The set-up is done when it's done and that's all I can say. I was once interviewed for a book on set-up and I went and measured a Bass that I just completed in the areas I was asked. I also mentioned that I don't ever measure the set-up myself. I just go by feel and playability. You have to know where to start and where to finish and when it feels right.

Mark Wolff
02-28-2008, 02:38 AM
Thanks. I PM'd back too. Hopefully I can drive over to see you this summer when I am back East visiting family in VA.