PDA

View Full Version : Strategic, artful setup corrections

Eric Swanson
03-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Thought you folks might appreciate the new bridge that Michael Hartery just fitted to my bass. He is nearly done with a series of minor, strategic improvements on my very modest instrument. Thankfully, he is finding sound in my bass that we had both hoped was there. Putting the personal, corrective touch on a bass that I bought with some unfortunate setup issues.

My former bridge came to me with angled legs, the adjusters unequally set (by about 3/8” from side to side), over ½” of adjuster thread showing (on one side), and some visible gaps between the bass’ top and the feet. The old bridge was also quite thick at the heart, tapering quickly up to the strings.

The former assembly was remarkably delicate and tenuous. The legs were constantly trying to splay toward the f-holes, creating gaps at the outer edges of both feet.

Michael’s carving is the icing on the cake. The bass is under less tension at the bridge, the feet have full contact, the walnut/aluminum adjusters turn effortlessly, the curve is lovely, and the sound is better than ever. The straight legs certainly seem to help the whole assembly sit better.

As a professional woodworker, I really appreciate Michael’s craftsmanship and attention to detail. It is all about fit and finish…

So far the list of corrections/improvements is comprised by a thicker soundpost (repositioned), a carbon fiber endpin, and this new bridge. This week, Michael will be hollowing out the bottom of the fingerboard (overhanging the bass’ top). I look forward to hearing the instrument without that ballast…

Michael’s contact info:
http://web.mac.com/mhartery

Eric Swanson
03-06-2008, 10:51 AM
The update is that Michael didn't scoop the bottom of the fingerboard. The board wasn't going to come off easily and the potential benefit didn't justify the risk and effort. Ditto with the idea of doing the work to the bottom of the board in situ.

The bass still sounds much better. So the reasonably priced setup improvements were lovely new bridge, soundpost, and carbon fiber endpin. What a nice difference they have made on my inexpensive bass' sound and playability!

Eric Swanson
09-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Most recent addendum is the installation of a Marvin wire tailpiece several weeks ago. It makes my extremely modest, roughly made, inexpensive bass sound and play nicer. The Marvin really helps the bass respond more quickly, clearly, and evenly, with no wolf tones.