PDA

View Full Version : Old Burner V...

Virgilio Venditti
03-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Hi, I am just new and allowed myself to register, since from yesterday I bought (from the original buyer) a 1991 black Burner V. Its birhtday is 9-20-91 and the serial nr. written on the ctl cavity cover is 91574-5 (also reported on the 24 fret). I am pretty satisfied with the bass, I would say. (Better: I just love it!) I am just curious if there is anything in particular to be known about this bass: I understand the Burner series has been replaced by the BSR, but can't really find anything much more around on the net! It seems to me a really serious bass, despite its "first step" placement in the Ken Smith "ladder": straight neck, beautiful fretwork, huge and mighty overall tone and plenty of options, all of which useful. Am I wrong or simply someone put something in my sandwich today?????? Another one: it has Vol/Panpot/Hi/Low controls. The Hi ctl has the center detent, while the bass seems only starting from zero and adding lows: am I wrong, here? Best things everybody...

Ken Smith
03-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Did you read this link yet? http://www.kensmithbasses.com/models/bsrb/bsrb.html

The BSR was a Smith model before it was used on the Burner series Basses. The BT shape was used first for the Burners by copying a BT Custom in Japan back in 1989. It was about 1998 when we started using the BSR shape on the Burner series. BSR 'B' meant it was a Burner using the BSR body shape. WE had already been using this shape on our handmade Basses for several years by that time.

Virgilio Venditti
03-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Tks, Ken!!! Did I get it right about the bass control having a different behaviour from the high control?

Ken Smith
03-26-2008, 10:46 AM
Tks, Ken!!! Did I get it right about the bass control having a different behaviour from the high control?

The Bass and the Pots for controls are over 15 years old. The Detent must be worn out. They were made with Detented Pots from 1989 for all Balance, Treble and Bass controls. Either it is worn or someone replaced the Pot. All Burners made before 1993 have a Japan circuit, not our USA BT. The replacement circuit for that Bass will be the same as we used in Smith Basses from 1993-2005 but without the Mid board added.

Richard Prowse
05-17-2008, 05:22 PM
Interesting thread!