PDA

View Full Version : Desmund Nichols -- New York

Desmund Nichols
04-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Hello all fellow Smith owners. My name is Desmund Nichols and I have been partially serioulsly playing bass since around 2000. I play Gospel music in church, and when I was in college, i played jazz just to learn the theory and stuff. I am not a full time musician, nor do I have any aspirations of being so. I am simply just a regular person who enjoys playing bass in church. My full time job is a NYPD Police Officer. Its funny that i went to school for music, but my career and profession is law enforcement, and you wouldnt believe how many times people asked me why did I take music in school, if my profession is law enforcement.

Ken Smith
04-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Hello all fellow Smith owners. My name is Desmund Nichols and I have been partially serioulsly playing bass since around 2000. I play Gospel music in church, and when I was in college, i played jazz just to learn the theory and stuff. I am not a full time musician, nor do I have any aspirations of being so. I am simply just a regular person who enjoys playing bass in church. My full time job is a NYPD Police Officer. Its funny that i went to school for music, but my career and profession is law enforcement, and you wouldnt believe how many times people asked me why did I take music in school, if my profession is law enforcement.

So, where's your beat?

Desmund Nichols
04-05-2008, 11:44 AM
I work Brooklyn. I am like in a task force, like everyday I can be somewhere different.

Ken Smith
04-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Last night I'm coming home from an Orchestra Rehearsal and jumped on a local highway/ByPass. Next think I know there are flashing lights behind me and the car in front of me speeds up a little. I move over a lane and then the Cop follows. Then I think, 'Oh, it's me he's chasing'..lol

I pull over, he walks up and looks at me, shines a light on me Reg. Stickers on the dash and asks for my Lic. and Reg. I hand him everything and he walks to his car. About 2 minutes later he comes back and I was thinking to ask for forgiveness and get off with a warning IF I was speeding. I didn't really know.

So, I say..'may I ask why you pulled me over'? He replies, 'are you kidding me?'.. 'No' I said. I'm not'. 'You passed me back there and then I turned on my speed equipt., and clocked you at 75mph' (50-55 limit there I think)., 'Oh'.. 'I'm sry, I didn't realize it. I was just on my way home.' and then I said, 'if it helps any, I'm a friend of law enforcement like Perkasie Police (my local) and the ATF, I have consulted and stuff' (I have a friend there and we talk.. business and music).. etc..

He smiles and hands me back my Lic. and Reg. and says 'slow down a little'.. I say yes, I will. Are you giving me a ticket?' (didn't see that he had one in his hand for me).. 'No, just slow down'.. 'Ok, sorry sir, I will'..

Then I realize what he was looking at on my Dash when he first shined his light on. My ATF hat from my friend in Detroit (Violent Crimes div, and now Tact., 25 yr veteran at ATF). It's not a Hat you can buy anywhere.

Once while going to NYC for Bass stuff with a friend and my Son, we made a left thru a red light when it changed down on C**** street to head uptown. There were 2 cops there pulling cars over at each light change because unless you go thru a Red, you can't make the Turn at busy times. He does the same, takes the Reg/mine and the Lic./my friends who was driving MY car. Comes back and lets us go and the other car in front to make it look equal. My ATF hat was on the Dash as well I am thinking now after last night that that may have had something to do with it.

What do you think?

Desmund Nichols
04-07-2008, 03:04 AM
It is a courtesy thing. Up here in NYC, there is like a unwritten code of law. Cops don't write cops, family or friends of cops. Like we take that serious. Not saying that if a cop is out stabbing innocent people that another cop will turn around and pretend that it didnt happen, but we don't try to hurt each other. The ATF hat probably did have something to do with it. Especially if you had it in 2 different states. Or maybe every cop that pulled you over is a bass player....Since we are on the subject of cops, is it possible to have my badge like customized into my bass?

Ken Smith
04-07-2008, 05:32 AM
It is a courtesy thing. Up here in NYC, there is like a unwritten code of law. Cops don't write cops, family or friends of cops. Like we take that serious. Not saying that if a cop is out stabbing innocent people that another cop will turn around and pretend that it didnt happen, but we don't try to hurt each other. The ATF hat probably did have something to do with it. Especially if you had it in 2 different states. Or maybe every cop that pulled you over is a bass player....Since we are on the subject of cops, is it possible to have my badge like customized into my bass?

Well, pulling someone over will not be easy whipping out your Bass that has your Badge embedded in it...lol

Desmund Nichols
04-07-2008, 01:10 PM
I can get a small miniture copy made.

Ken Smith
04-07-2008, 04:41 PM
I can get a small miniture copy made.

It can be explored. Does this project come with a 'get out of jail Free card' for NYC or at least a parking exemption for those days I need to travel to the City?:confused:

Desmund Nichols
04-08-2008, 11:15 AM
It can be explored. Does this project come with a 'get out of jail Free card' for NYC or at least a parking exemption for those days I need to travel to the City?:confused:

I can give you a copy of of the shield, so you wont get moving violations or get out of speeding tickets in NYC. But as far as parking we can't do anything. To be honest, the Mayor is cracking down on everybody to the point where even parking plaques are not being honored. Traffic Agents are vicious and they will write a cop while he or she is there.

Ken Smith
04-08-2008, 11:22 PM
I can give you a copy of of the shield, so you wont get moving violations or get out of speeding tickets in NYC. But as far as parking we can't do anything. To be honest, the Mayor is cracking down on everybody to the point where even parking plaques are not being honored. Traffic Agents are vicious and they will write a cop while he or she is there.

I will take what I can get. Maybe it's time we move this subject to PM.

Also, I need to see exactly what it is you want on or in your Bass before I say I can do it. We like thinks done nice and neat around here so an early viewing is recommended.

Craig Courtney
05-13-2008, 03:43 PM

Being the fine upstanding taxpaying citizen that I am, I am highly offended
by these backroom deals being made to avoid being cited for traffic offenses in NYC.
I honestly think it wasn't the ATF hat on the dash but the pile of potatoe chips on your hood that got you out of those tickets anyway.

Richard Prowse
05-23-2008, 03:23 AM
20,000!
20,000!(Down here (NZ)