PDA

View Full Version : black tiger/ dip switch sound versatility???

ramon ramos
04-09-2008, 11:38 PM
can somebody please let me know if it's true that the black tiger smith's have 12 known sound setting's ??? . i recently saw an auction on ebay and the seller was stating that his smith had 12 diffrent sound's the smith did have the series parallel switches. so i'm wondering if this is true because i'd like to upgrade if this is the case. i currently own the 9 volt version i'm not complaining smith is the man!! his design's are thee best in the buisness hand's, down no doubt about it i just want to able to have the sound versatility that the person claim's, i wonder if he's a smithie? well anyway i'm hoping that all bmt 18volt's are the same or do i have to have series parallel installed ? i need to be sure before i order from ken. so if you know and own this model please drop a few line's and let me know. thank's ramon

Ken Smith
04-10-2008, 12:18 AM
can somebody please let me know if it's true that the black tiger smith's have 12 known sound setting's ??? . i recently saw an auction on ebay and the seller was stating that his smith had 12 diffrent sound's the smith did have the series parallel switches. so i'm wondering if this is true because i'd like to upgrade if this is the case. i currently own the 9 volt version i'm not complaining smith is the man!! his design's are thee best in the buisness hand's, down no doubt about it i just want to able to have the sound versatility that the person claim's, i wonder if he's a smithie? well anyway i'm hoping that all bmt 18volt's are the same or do i have to have series parallel installed ? i need to be sure before i order from ken. so if you know and own this model please drop a few line's and let me know. thank's ramon

Maybe you should just ask me!

The DIP switches are inside the Bass. These are pre-sets. Not an on-board switch you can change between songs. We have them set to the best overall combination in my opinion to me ear and that's how we ship them out. All 9V units are the same and all 18v units are the same. In fact, all the 18v units are 9v units with 2 batteries. The operate just the same. It just drains 2 batteries at a time instead of one.

The S/P switches are for the Pickups, not the circuit. With all the controls for either the 9 or 18v unit I think you have way more than 12 sounds. More like 1200. I never did the math so don't quote me.

Unless it's broke, don't fix it!

ramon ramos
04-10-2008, 12:46 AM
o.k. ken know i understand the wiring part sound's like i just need the s/p switche's to get the most sound's possible. can i buy these direct from you and what do they go for $??. thank's ken.....

Ken Smith
04-10-2008, 01:01 AM
o.k. ken know i understand the wiring part sound's like i just need the s/p switche's to get the most sound's possible. can i buy these direct from you and what do they go for $??. thank's ken.....

Email me at work or call me.

ramon ramos
04-10-2008, 02:02 AM
i will e- mail you back at your shop ken.thank you ramon

Bob Faulkner
04-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Since there are 2, 2 position switches, then you have 4 total possible "sounds" due to those switches. You have to factor in that you have 5 knobs, all ****og, so technically the number of possible tones would practically approach infinity. In real life, the knobs will have granularity in their values, so it's not really infinity, but it's so many subtle possibilities, you'll never hear every possible tone your smith can produce in your life.. you can get in the ball park, and honestly you probably won't be able to tell the difference between 2 different settings, even though there really is a difference..

ramon ramos
04-10-2008, 09:13 PM
thank you for your input bob on the switch's issue. i was hoping that it would be infinite sound possobility just like you said. ken also mentioned that his design is not hooked up to the 18v preamp like i thought it was but i'm a new smith owner and i'm glad and thank ken for having these forum's, so that you veteran smith owner's can advise us new member's on do's and don't's. thank's again bob and i also want to take this time to say that your smith is a beautiful specimen. ramon