PDA

View Full Version : Leaft Hand Pinky Injury

Ralph Thorp
04-27-2008, 12:04 PM
I have just been diagnosed with a soft tissue (ligament) injury to my left hand pinky finger – the joint next to the nail (1st joint). I have played upright bass for about 48 years and have not had any left hand issues till now. My occupational therapist and I have discovered the middle joint is collapsing as I press the pinky finger to stop the note on the fingerboard. Thus I no longer have that nice curved finger. We believe this to be putting excessive pressure on the 1st joint resulting in the ligament injury and pain.

Rest, not playing, is certainly working as the pain and inflammation is gradually going away. My OT has a ring that I can put in the finger to assist in keeping the middle joint from collapsing, but I am curious if any of you have any thoughts on how to keep the middle joint from collapsing?[

Thanks

Ralph

Richard Prowse
05-17-2008, 05:17 PM
I have just been diagnosed with a soft tissue (ligament) injury to my left hand pinky finger – the joint next to the nail (1st joint). I have played upright bass for about 48 years and have not had any left hand issues till now. My occupational therapist and I have discovered the middle joint is collapsing as I press the pinky finger to stop the note on the fingerboard. Thus I no longer have that nice curved finger. We believe this to be putting excessive pressure on the 1st joint resulting in the ligament injury and pain.

Rest, not playing, is certainly working as the pain and inflammation is gradually going away. My OT has a ring that I can put in the finger to assist in keeping the middle joint from collapsing, but I am curious if any of you have any thoughts on how to keep the middle joint from collapsing?[

Thanks

Ralph
Sorry to hear about your injury. Even though no one has replied to this thread, I'm sure that everyone sympathises with your situation. I've had hand injuries and know that taking a break is often the best solution, but I seldom can do this. Try to use the finger as little as possible... try to replace it with your ring finger.
Good luck.