PDA

View Full Version : Doubled up..

Ken Smith
06-25-2008, 10:11 PM
I posted this in the OLD Basses section because at first we thought the Label inside was from a repair, now I believe it could be the maker.

Here's the Stuff...........
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another Bass but maybe not so old.

I took this Bass (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/Bohemian/Bohemian.htm) in trade less than a year ago and since then and up until a few hours ago believed it to be a 19th century Bohemian Bass.

When I first examined the Bass there was a label on the center crossbar that said;
Frantisek Bilek
Zhotovil L.P. 1947

I assumed at first it was a repair label. Since then I bought a used set of Jalovec Books which concentrate more on the eastern makers than books like Henley. This still may be an older bass with just a repair from Bilek but we still are not sure.

Bilek was born c.1890 and died on 12/5/57. He trained with and assisted Josef A.Cermak in Kutna Hora (a pupil of Benjamin Patocka) and then for 9 years worked for Bohuslav Lantner in Prague(Praha). Bilek established his own business in 1917 and is listed in Jalovec as doing 'Modest Work'.

If HE is the maker then I was right on two things. The Bass IS Bohemian and made in Prague as well. I guess with better internal inspection the age could be closer guessed. Still, it will be restored after the Summer and then get a second opinion on its age and if the label matches the Bass after the Top is off.

Another name in this picture that makes a connection in my mind is a Maker/Repairer named Josef Karhan. Like Cermak, he was also a pupil of B.Patocka, worked as an assistant for Cermak and later worked for Latner as a Repairer. The latter two are the same Shops that Bilek worked and trained in.

Like I have seen with the London School, these Bohemians were well connected amongst themselves.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also posted it on TalkBass titled 'Date this Bass (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=446163)'.

Ken Smith
06-26-2008, 06:36 PM
I must add this though. A few Dealers and Luthiers have seen this Bass in person and on-line and do not believe the label matches the Bass age-wise. The majority of labels in Violin Family instruments (vintage ones) are false or do not match the instrument.

In this case, the Bilek label was either placed inside to name it or as a repair by Bilek, and the Bass was old already in 1947. Since the label clearly says by translation 'MADE' and the professional that have seen the Bass say 19th century to early 1900's, then it is more than likely that the label itself is real but placed in the Bass to give it a name. Anti-dating though is much more common than post-dating so that remains a mystery to me. Also, it is just possible that the Bass aged quickly since 1947 and just appears to be older.

The answer here is that there is no answer.. Yet!

Ken Smith
10-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Last night was the second time I took this Bass (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/Bohemian/Bohemian.htm) out for a Jazz gig. The first time was several months ago when it had some old deadish sounding orchestra strings on it. I have since put another old set that came on the Mougenot I just got but they're Spiro Weichs.

Using the same Shadow pickup I usually use along with the EBS Drome 15 it sounded quite good. The notes often have a quick decay as if muted but do ring a bit on some when needed. It sounds like a much bigger German-type Bass similar to what we've heard on recordings from Ray Brown. Tonally, this Bass sounds and feels like an old Bass.

It's not a very big Bass at all either. Just a modest 3/4 size at most. I suppose that regular Spiros or a newer set of Weichs or similar would just 'smoke' on this Bass jazz-wise. Orchestrally, it sounded pretty good before but not a huge penetrating sound, just pleasing. Played with an Amp in a Jazz setting, I think it's a fantastic Bass or at least that's how I feel after last nights gig.