PDA

View Full Version : Homer Mensch Memorial Concert

Arnold Schnitzer
01-31-2007, 09:01 AM
I had the pleasure of attending this warm and fuzzy event Monday night at Juilliard. Kurt Muroki did a fabulous job putting it together! The college president spoke eloquently about Mr. Mensch, and the attendees represented the who's who of USA bassists. The performers were mostly great, and a young Japanese bassist, Tomoyo??, was the hit of the evening. I discovered at the reception (good food!) that he is 21 and a double major, studying both bass and percussion. Kurt, do you think you could publish the program here? I seem to have lost mine. Anyway, in summary, Homer Mensch was a big talent both as a bassist and teacher, was well-respected and revered by all who crossed his path. The evening was an outpouring of love and respect for someone who touched many, many lives in a positive way.

Nick Hart
01-31-2007, 10:46 AM
I wish I could have been there but once again school stopped me from getting to NY. Arnold, I believe you're talking about Tomoya Aomori, and he is definitely a great player.

kurt muroki
02-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Hey Arnold! thanks for the nice words and thanks so much for being there!!! it was such an honor to have you there. yeah tomoya is amazing. I like his percussion playing just as much or even more than his double bass playing!!!! what an amazing talent... oh and he also arranged the barber adagio. I think his teachers Al Laszlo and Danny Druckman
(danny said that tomoya is his best student) are both great. Hey so I have pictures of the rehearsal etc on the website www.homermensch.com (http://www.homermensch.com) I'll post the program as a picture on the website also later today. thanks,

kurt