PDA

View Full Version : Rusting on the pickups

Desmund Nichols
08-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Ken, today I was playing today at church and I looked down in between songs and I noticed that there is rust build up on my pickup. Its on the screw and in the pickup holes. What shuold I do? Should I worry?

Ken Smith
08-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Ken, today I was playing today at church and I looked down in between songs and I noticed that there is rust build up on my pickup. Its on the screw and in the pickup holes. What shuold I do? Should I worry?

Well, the Screws and pole pieces are not stainless steel so sweat and salt in your body left on the bass can cause metal to rust. Wipe of the bass when you play and that should be ok for now. All these parts can be replaced but you must maintain the Bass. I see basses over 20 years with no rust and some newer with some rust there. It is up to how the Bass is taken care of and who played it body-chemistry wise..

Tim Bishop
08-03-2008, 05:15 PM
+1 Ken.

On a similar note:

I am amazed by those that will take a beautifully made $4,000.+ bass (or any bass for that matter), stick it in a $4.00 gig bag and on a regular basis, take that bass to an outside gig with 95+ degree temperatures, direct sun-light, varying humidity levels, and then wonder why the neck action has changed :confused: ....:mad:

I don't get it. :rolleyes:

Ronson Hall
08-04-2008, 11:20 AM
+1 Ken.

On a similar note:

I am amazed by those that will take a beautifully made $4,000.+ bass (or any bass for that matter), stick it in a $4.00 gig bag and on a regular basis, take that bass to an outside gig with 95+ degree temperatures, direct sun-light, varying humidity levels, and then wonder why the neck action has changed :confused: ....:mad:

I don't get it. :rolleyes:

Tim, along with many others I too may be guilty of a degree of ignorance when it comes to the proper precautionary care of my Smith Beauty.

I do "wipe it down" after every use, and I polish it at least once a week. The Levy Gig Bag I carry it around in is not cheap, and I don't leave it in hot or humid places for prolonged periods of time.

Aside from this "common sense" care, please take a moment to school myself, Desmond and others as to other things we can practice to protect our rather sizable investments? :confused:

Desmund Nichols
08-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Common sense, i hear you. My bass stays in the levy gig case that I ordered with my bass from Smith. It stays in my air conditioned bed room and only comes out when I play it. I may not polish it as much as others or stuff like that, but I do treat my bass very good. I just never thought my sweat would fall into the pickup. Some people just dont have the time or mentality to care for their instrument. I'll be honest, if my bass ever gets seriously damaged to the point that i get angry when I look at it, ima just buy another one. life goes on.

Buy anyway, Ken, are you saying that I should just wipe it down? HOw do I get the rust off that is on the pickups now?

Tim Bishop
08-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Tim, along with many others I too may be guilty of a degree of ignorance when it comes to the proper precautionary care of my Smith Beauty.

I do "wipe it down" after every use, and I polish it at least once a week. The Levy Gig Bag I carry it around in is not cheap, and I don't leave it in hot or humid places for prolonged periods of time.

Aside from this "common sense" care, please take a moment to school myself, Desmond and others as to other things we can practice to protect our rather sizable investments? :confused:

Ronson, sounds like you're already doing it. The Gig Bag you have is a good one.

Tim Bishop
08-05-2008, 02:38 AM
Common sense, i hear you. My bass stays in the levy gig case that I ordered with my bass from Smith. It stays in my air conditioned bed room and only comes out when I play it. I may not polish it as much as others or stuff like that, but I do treat my bass very good. I just never thought my sweat would fall into the pickup. Some people just dont have the time or mentality to care for their instrument. I'll be honest, if my bass ever gets seriously damaged to the point that i get angry when I look at it, ima just buy another one. life goes on.

Buy anyway, Ken, are you saying that I should just wipe it down? HOw do I get the rust off that is on the pickups now?

FYI: Air conditioning and heaters remove moisture from the air. To appropriately store your bass, get a good humidifier and a Hygrometer (you can buy a Hygrometer cheap at Radio Shack). Then, maintain a humidity level of around 47% in the room you store your bass. Well worth the very small investment. ;)

I find I don't need the Humidifier until the Winter (when I use the heater). But then, I live in Texas and during the Summer, it can get quite humid at times. :p

As far as cleaning the rust off the pick-ups??? If you are referring to rust that is on the individual Pole Pieces and the Pick-up Height Adjustment Screws (which is usually where this occurs when not maintained properly) and if it's not that bad, don't worry about it, they will be fine. But going forward, always wipe them down when you are finished playing.

However........

If it just bugs you to see the rust and you are REALLY good with your hands and are mechanically inclined; clean and VERY, VERY, lightly lubricate the individual pole pieces and screws. Did I say VERY, VERY, lightly lubricate? :confused: Why, yes, I believe I did! :rolleyes:. If you are not comfortable doing this, find someone qualified who is. ;)

Jason Mendelson
08-05-2008, 03:03 AM
When I got my first Smith, I had it ordered without the exposed pole pieces because I was afraid the Miami Florida humidity would rust them...

My second Smith I ordered a year later I got with the pole pieces exposed... The one with the exposed poles is now 11 years old and no rust...