PDA

View Full Version : Paul Warburton

Sam Sherry
01-31-2007, 11:41 AM
Paul, perhaps you'd favor us with a road tale or two.

I'd be curious about what was the nicest bass you got handed to play a concert with.

Cheers!

Greg Clinkingbeard
01-31-2007, 12:38 PM
Nothing quite like hearing those road tales. What about some of the greats you've played with can you tell us?

David Hosking
02-01-2007, 06:33 AM
...And of the recordings on which you performed, the ones that you are most proud of and the reasons why? Thank you!

Paul Warburton
02-05-2007, 03:34 AM
Sorry for being so late in my response, guys.
Thursday eve., I had some strange pains going up and down my left arm. To make matters worse, I had some chest pains. Some friends suggested I not mess around, so, we called 911. No heart attack, but scary and stayed in the hospital until today (Sunday) Many tests, and it turns out i'm in pretty damn good shape for an old, white jazz musician.
Hey Sam! I've been real lucky in terms of road basses. Most of my traveling was done when when the air lines were easier to get along with. For instance, when I went to Eurpope with Pharoah Sanders, the record co. bought a ticket for the bass. The only catch was that we had to pre-board the bass in what they call the 'bulk head' area....those bigger areas where the emergency exits are. I wasn't forced to get a travel case until later.
Sam, I must say I never got handed a really exceptional bass on the road...just some decent, playable basses.
My favorite story as far as basses go....when in Europe with Pharoah....my late wife Barbara came along on that one, lucky for all of us. She always helped so much on tours! As we were taking off, I was looking at the itinerary and, Bingo...the Italian part incuded Brescia, the birth place of the DB. So, the minute we got settled in the hotel, we went off in quest of a possible Gasparo Da Salo ( the actual inventor of the DB) or a Maggini (the guy next in line after Gasparo)
Guys, i'm gonna have to continue this tomorrow...my computer is doing strange things.

Charles Arms
02-05-2007, 10:21 AM
. . . the minute we got settled in the hotel, we went off in quest of a possible Gasparo Da Salo ( the actual inventor of the DB) or a Maggini (the guy next in line after Gasparo)
Guys, i'm gonna have to continue this tomorrow...my computer is doing strange things. . .

This guy should work for network televsion. The suspense is killing me! :)

Ken Smith
02-05-2007, 10:54 AM
This guy should work for network televsion. The suspense is killing me! :)

What suspense? I heard this over on TB awhile ago. Maybe Paul could go over there and just copy and paste it over here..

I think he met Dragonetti in a saiance one night and played a duet with him. Strange things happen in foreign lands..:eek:

Bob Branstetter
02-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Paul - Don't you think it is about time to post the Bill Evans chronicles? I found them extremely interesting when you were sending it to me several years ago in emails and I know the younger guys (and probably the rest of the old guys too) would love to know how it happened and what it was like from your personal perspective.

Ron Lacey
02-08-2007, 08:13 PM
Paul - Don't you think it is about time to post the Bill Evans chronicles?

Yeah, us youngster's need to read this. Come on Paul, share.