PDA

View Full Version : sagging saddle

Bob Faulkner
08-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Hey Ken.. The saddle for my G-string on my BSR4EG has developed a little bit of an issue and I wanted to ask your opinion on how to fix it. The saddle has started to "sink" over time in that every 6 months or so I have to break out the allen wrench and raise it back up. Once I set it's height where I want it, it will slowly work it's way back down to the point were, if I don't correct it, the saddle will start rattling against the bridge plate. It's not tragic or anything as adjusting the saddles every 6 months isn't too painful, but I'd really like it to just stay put when I set it.

It made it to about 5 years old before it really started doing this. It was fairly low already, and only noticed it when it began rattling. I have reset it 2 times now and it's again in need.

Any ideas on how to "tighten" the screw posts on the saddle so they don't drift under load?

Thanks!

Ken Smith
08-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Hey Ken.. The saddle for my G-string on my BSR4EG has developed a little bit of an issue and I wanted to ask your opinion on how to fix it. The saddle has started to "sink" over time in that every 6 months or so I have to break out the allen wrench and raise it back up. Once I set it's height where I want it, it will slowly work it's way back down to the point were, if I don't correct it, the saddle will start rattling against the bridge plate. It's not tragic or anything as adjusting the saddles every 6 months isn't too painful, but I'd really like it to just stay put when I set it.

It made it to about 5 years old before it really started doing this. It was fairly low already, and only noticed it when it began rattling. I have reset it 2 times now and it's again in need.

Any ideas on how to "tighten" the screw posts on the saddle so they don't drift under load?

Thanks!

Some heavy grease, Lock tite? A tissue in with the screw? Worn from vibration I guess. Can't replace steel or Brass so just something that will work should be ok.

That is a good sign that the wood of the bass vibrates so well that it loosens the bridge screws.

Now, check all your other screws carefully. All of them. Bridge, Tuners, etc. Carefully tighten them and do not tear or strip the plated heads on the cosmetic screws.

Just gently and carefully tighten them and hold the screwdriver top and bottom with two hands to guide the Tip from scratching the Bass if it slips. The Bass laid down on a table or bench.

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/ft/assemblysection/images/ken2.jpghttp://www.kensmithbasses.com/KSD/images/adj_pickup.jpg

Bob Faulkner
08-13-2008, 04:51 PM
everything else is still 100% perfect.. It's just that one saddle.

Do you sell individual saddles? Just wondering in case I get annoyed and want to replace it..

Ken Smith
08-13-2008, 05:01 PM
everything else is still 100% perfect.. It's just that one saddle.

Do you sell individual saddles? Just wondering in case I get annoyed and want to replace it..

Each saddle is machined from solid brass stock, holes drilled and tapped and then polished and plated. They cost about $25-$30 for each saddle individually plus shipping.

Bob Faulkner
08-13-2008, 05:21 PM
I'll try using some heavy grease in the threads.. If that doesn't make a difference I may be getting a new saddle for christmas.

Thanks for the info Ken!