PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me the origin of this bass!!

Carlos Henriquez
09-13-2008, 08:08 PM
I got this bass in London last week and I wanted to find out if anyone can direct me to the right direction of where this bass was originated from. It was once a 3 string bass and it still has the 3 string tailpiece and tuners however, someone at one time installed a 4th tuner converting it to a 4 stringer..

Carlos Henriquez
09-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Thank you!

Ken Smith
09-13-2008, 08:38 PM
I Think.. that it's German, about 100 years old. The Neck looks like a Dovetail joint but these pics are really not the best to see the actual Bass and wood grain. Look at MY webpages of Basses (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/doublebasses/) and get me some shots like that. Take the kind of pics YOU would want to see when shopping for a Bass. It's the same idea.

England imported instruments from Germany for the low end and with that stained fingerboard I believe that's a good sign. Also, with the nicer Rib linings I think is North Germany but never was this kind of Bass made in France.

The 3-string is a mystery because those plates look strange. Many 4-string Basses were converted to play as 3-string by some in England, France and Italy only to be put back as a 4-string later. It could have been made originally as a 3-string in German for export to England where 3-string was more standard then. I have seen other German Basses but lower end than this made as 3s. I suspect the same reason. This may be a nice Bass for German but was still cheaper then to import this than to make it I would venture to say.

Being that you are near New York, take the Bass to BOTH Arnold and Jeff so they can have a look on the inside. I don't think this is English with that Dovetail. The Gears on the matching 3 are 100% German from 80-140 years old or so. I am not positive on the age but certain on the Origin. The 4th gear might be a replacement from when it was put back to a 4-string. Finding this in London is a good sign it may have been used as a 3-string if not born that way.

Sam Sherry
09-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Lovely lookin' bass, landing in the best of hands.

Carlos Henriquez could make music on a cardboard box string with rubber bands!

Carlos Henriquez
09-15-2008, 06:43 PM
HAHAHA Thanks Sam!!! Good looking out!!! Kenny said that the bass was German so, that will be my bragging rights!! Let's hook up someday!!!

Carlos Henriquez