PDA

View Full Version : Pickup Problem

Mike Braun
10-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Hey Ken,

I recently purchased a Ken Smith BSR 6 string bass and I absolutely love it. However, I have noticed that the pickups move up when i have my thumb on them. Last night I had a show and after 15 minutes of playing the pickup was touching the string which made a challenging song to play even more challenging as I had to hold it down. What can I do to remedy this problem?

Mike

Tim Bishop
10-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Hey Ken,

I recently purchased a Ken Smith BSR 6 string bass and I absolutely love it. However, I have noticed that the pickups move up when i have my thumb on them. Last night I had a show and after 15 minutes of playing the pickup was touching the string which made a challenging song to play even more challenging as I had to hold it down. What can I do to remedy this problem?

Mike

Have you tried to adjust the screws further downward? Do they not hold?

Have the P/U Set Screws been adjusted so much that they have stripped out from the wood? If this is the case, a quick, cheap and easy solution could be: You could carefully pull the P/U's out and fill the stripped out hole(s) with some wooden tooth-picks (just take a tooth pick; stick it into the hole and break it off at the top of the body. Repeat this until you fill the hole up. Then, carefully reset the P/U's with the screws. You should feel a more tight and secure fit with the screws into the hole you filled. This is a very simple solution and it will work, however, if you are not comfortable doing this, find someone qualified who is.

Make sense?

Tim B.

Mike Braun
10-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Thank you! It seems to have done the trick.

Bob Faulkner
10-06-2008, 02:06 PM
which was it? stripped or just adjusted too far up?

Mike Braun
10-06-2008, 06:57 PM
It appears the problem was that it was stripped.