PDA

View Full Version : Have you designed your own bass?

Martin Sheridan
11-08-2008, 01:15 PM
I've always said that the good thing about making basses is that you don't have to make the same one over and over, but the bad thing is that no one has the same idea of what a bass should be.

I've never believed in reinventing the wheel and I'm not interested in going radical, but for the first time in my life I'm thinking about designing my own bass (or basses). I've always tried to make basses that players want, and indeed I think I've learned more about making basses and bass set ups from players than any other source. But now I'm thinking of designing my own bass....of incorporating the elements of basses that I've liked into one bass...if that's possible. Anyway, I'm at the beginning.

Have you designed your own bass? What was your thinking and planning process like? Would you do it again? Did it turn out the way you wanted.

Arnold Schnitzer
11-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Martin, you've been around instruments longer than me, so I offer my personal take with a big dose of humility...

For my traditionally-styled basses I started with pretty Italian models, then tweaked them a little here and there for ergonomics and such. (Hmmm, did I just say something about tweaking pretty Italian models? I hope my wife doesn't see this.) Nowadays, players want reasonable access to the upper register, so huge shoulders and really long mensurs are a problem. But they also want a deep, loud sound, so you can't go for a wimpy shape, either. And I think it's important to create a design which incorporates your own theories about what works and what doesn't in tone production. For example, do you believe the width at the waist is important? Or the type of corners? Or the stop length/neck length ratio?

There are a lot of questions to ask yourself if you want to come up with a good, viable design that is true to your own beliefs. My designs usually end up looking pretty much like some of the nice 18th century Italian basses after they've had a shoulder cut. My "Ergonomic" bass, on the other hand, looks more like a German bass that melted in the heat. That was, for me, a case of form following function, as my personal design ideas led to an asymmetrical shape.

There is a lot of freedom to create in new directions or totally screw up in bass making. Violin makers don't have this problem/opportunity.

Martin Sheridan
11-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Thank you for your input Arnold. All I've done so far is a little tweaking to basses pretty much as you described above. I know I won't make any radical changes. I think I'm going to have to get used to the idea that no design is going to satisfy everyone anyway.

Martin Sheridan
11-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Arnold,
I just reread your post. How the hell do you know that I've been around basses longer than you?

Back in a minute, gotta warm up the Hudson.

Arnold Schnitzer
11-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Hudson? I thought you drove a Tucker...