PDA

View Full Version : Homer's Bass

Abe Gumroyan
12-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Does anyone know what kind of bass Homer Mensch played or what happened to it after he passed ?

Ken Smith
12-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Does anyone know what kind of bass Homer Mensch played or what happened to it after he passed ?

Yes, and it was discussed here (http://www.smithbassforums.com/showthread.php?t=524&highlight=Homer%27s+Gagliano) when it went up for sale.

I believe a student of his working now in Europe won the Auction. The Euro was stronger than the Dollar.

Eric Swanson
12-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Ken, how about Lew Norton's bass? He may still have it, for all I know, after retiring.

The bass I remember seeing at lessons and playing (briefly in '79/'80) had a dark brown varnish and a nicely flamed neck, made from matched pieces of maple, laminated, so that the joint showed on the back (where the thumb goes).

Ken, do you know this bass, as a former student of Lew Norton's?

Ken Smith
12-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Ken, how about Lew Norton's bass? He may still have it, for all I know, after retiring.

The bass I remember seeing at lessons and playing (briefly in '79/'80) had a dark brown varnish and a nicely flamed neck, made from matched pieces of maple, laminated, so that the joint showed on the back (where the thumb goes).

Ken, do you know this bass, as a former student of Lew Norton's?

Yes, that bass he called some kind of Gagliano type Bass back then. It was long since sold and he had a Bass from Kolstein his last few years. He gave that bass back to Kolstein to sell for him. The Gagliano'ish Bass was sold earlier to a player in Japan, Lew told me recently..