PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta by way of Nashville

Trix Miller
12-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Hello All,

The scene: Nashville, early nineties. Nashville had yet to receive the memo that big hair and acid washed jeans were no longer fashionable. Country still wasn't cool. It may be cool by now.

There were only a few string bass players in the city. One of them was Roy Huskey, Jr. I saw Roy perform the same week I picked up my first Oscar Peterson record with Ray Brown playing bass. The seed was planted, I just didn't know it yet.

One afternoon, I headed out to the nearest music store to purchase a new set of guitar strings. There was a dusty, old King Mortone in the corner that caught my eye immediately. $600 was a lot of money for someone subsiding on Ramen noodles and canned tuna. But hey, you only live once. And with 400,000 talented guitar players already living in Nashville, there was nothing to lose!

Fourteen years later, I'm still in love with the string bass. And I've loved a few of them. The American Standard was a robust, broad shouldered, gal who had a real set of lungs on her. Then there was a sickly Czech gal that died in my arms. Who knows, one day I might even play an electric bass!

I do jump blues, swing and anything else you can shoehorn into the Americana genre.

Glad to be here.

Oren Hudson
12-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Welcome Trix - I'm new too. Next time you head up I-85 far enough to get to Gastonia, NC, give me a call, or as Southerners sometimes say "stop and say hey." :)

See ya,
Oren