PDA

View Full Version : Damage to varnish /coating on my BT 4

Jo Dorn
01-19-2009, 04:55 AM
There's a small 'whole' in the varnish on the front of my BT 4 as a result of an 'accident' (our guitarist pushed his tuners into my bass :mad:).
The damage has the size of a cent-coin with rather uneven edgings. The bass ha a quilted maple top and is varnished with a clear coating (? the coating looks much more golden than the pure wood which can be seen in the 'whole'). Although it has been there for quite some years it's starting to annoy me more and more on this otherwise perfect instrument. I'm wondering whether there is a chance to fill it up / repair it. What kind of varnish would you guys use? Would you try to do it yourself? How would you apply it?
I don't think I will be able to give it to the Ken Smith people as I live over in Germany. Is there any luthier/expert over here you would recommend for this job?

Many thanks in advance,

Jo

Jason Mendelson
01-24-2009, 06:16 AM
IMHO if you fill it or try to touch it up its going to make it look worse...

it adds character to the bass I am sure...

post a pic?

Tim Bishop
01-24-2009, 01:00 PM
I would agree. Don't mess with it. :rolleyes:

Jo Dorn
01-26-2009, 05:13 AM
Thanks for your opinions, I guess you're totally right about leaving it as it is.....As the bass did wonderfully age over the years (gonna post a picture later on) it might not be possible to hit exactly that shade of gold the varnish has turned into.....