PDA

View Full Version : Hullo!...

David Alan McIntire II
01-28-2009, 07:27 PM
... And good afternoon! My name is David, a bass guitarist from a teeny town in SC called St. George. Am originally from Rhode Island, spent much of my formative years in Ohio. I am 41 years old, have been playin some type of instrument since about 5 when my family's back porch bluegrass band would sit and play. Tried playin every instrument under the sun, mom insisted as she played piano and was quite good, but was terrible at all I tried til picked up an electric bass when 14 or so. Was offered spot in band two weeks or so later, been giggin, literally, ever since. Started out a metal head, influences bein JPJ, Steve Harris, Geddy, Mike Anthony and John Deacon, and many others. Guess in '94 or so saw Dream Theater's video for a song called "Lie" and had to have a Low B. Bout same time played my 1st Smith, a Chuck Rainey 6 and the dream was born. Several years later got, and still have, my first and only Smith to date, my own CR6G-MW. I have no musical preferences now, I'll play anythin, anywhere, anytime, and have been called upon to do so continually. No formal trainin, but taught myself to read and write on my own, as that was my responsibility. They ain't written a piece of music I don't love, wit possible exclusion of Brittany Spears, but if got that gig, heh, and could bring my Smith, I'd love that music, too. I play 4-7 nights a week, and LOVE my job. The whole net thing new to me, so gimme time and I'll get pics of myself and my gear. Gear just tools, and though those tools can inspire, it's a poor carpenter who blames OR gives responsibility to those tools. All comes from inside you, no matter what ya play. I just happen to be lucky that mine include the best, and most inspirational, bass made today. A Ken Smith. So Hullo, greetings, and here's to some great conversations!

Oren Hudson
01-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Welcome to the forum David. Where is St. George? I'm in Gastonia, NC just west of Charlotte. Have you lived in SC very long? If you have, I'm confident that you've had grits. Others on here have not had the pleasure. Sounds like you are a real music and bass guy. Let me warn you about Richard Prowse. He's only heard of grits on The Beverly Hillbillies and will try and pass along hearsay about them. But, in spite of this, he's a friend of mine and a fun bassist and forumist. Please join in, particularly on the Bull Pit section. We have a lot of fun with it--- Oren.:)

David Alan McIntire II
01-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Well, hello. My town is just north of Charleston, bout 40 miles or so. Charleston is my main haunt for gigging, but travel lots. 95 goes right through my town, and it takes me same time to travel to Columbia, Savannah, OR Charleston, and is a good jumpin off point when needin to get movin in hurry. It's REALLY funny you mention grits, as St. George hosts a giant annual grits festival, comin up soon in March. I'm afraid though that grits are NOT on my menu. I'm a yankee at heart, and have yet to acquire a taste for them. I'm an oatmeal and potato freak, though. Heh. I've spied the thread you mention, and can't wait to join the banter. You're my first reply, so thanks for the welcome!

Richard Prowse
01-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Well, hello. My town is just north of Charleston, bout 40 miles or so. Charleston is my main haunt for gigging, but travel lots. 95 goes right through my town, and it takes me same time to travel to Columbia, Savannah, OR Charleston, and is a good jumpin off point when needin to get movin in hurry. It's REALLY funny you mention grits, as St. George hosts a giant annual grits festival, comin up soon in March. I'm afraid though that grits are NOT on my menu. I'm a yankee at heart, and have yet to acquire a taste for them. I'm an oatmeal and potato freak, though. Heh. I've spied the thread you mention, and can't wait to join the banter. You're my first reply, so thanks for the welcome!
Why must every conversation finish up with damn grits? Nice to meet you David, I'm from Wainuiomata - it's fairly close to where my friend Oren lives... down south. Way down south.

David Alan McIntire II
01-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Afternoon. You way out, alright. Heh. Been readin your posts, Mr. Prowse. you my kind of guy. Replied to Down in NZ post about my home town's Grits Festival. An annual celebration of grits. You should come by, very educational. Also, my initials spell DAM. Backwards spells IIMAD. Too Mad. I am. But not angry. Heh. Also, will be in Charlotte for a show Saturday night. Let Oren know, or check last entry in Down thread. More details there. Glad to meet ya, wasn't that you as Darth Vader in Star Wars? Oh, no, that was David Prowse. You and me both, I presume. Grits Festival in March, you are ALL invited.