PDA

View Full Version : Giovanni Dollenz

Matthew Heintz
02-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Guy Cole has a bass at Robertson's, which he patterned after a Giovanni Dollenz model. What do you know about Giovanni Dollenz? My google searches led me to many auctions for violins and a book introduction (http://www.veniceresearch.com/articles.htm) indicating that "Giovanni and Giuseppe Dollenz [were]... Nineteenth Century Violin Makers from Trieste." Perhaps, Guy meant that he patterned it after Dollenz's violins? In any case, more information on Dollenz and any pictures of a Dollenz bass would be much appreciated.

On a related note, what characterizes basses from this time period? Body type? Scroll? F-holes? Can one generalize about basses from this area/time period?

Ken Smith
02-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Guy Cole has a bass at Robertson's, which he patterned after a Giovanni Dollenz model. What do you know about Giovanni Dollenz? My google searches led me to many auctions for violins and a book introduction (http://www.veniceresearch.com/articles.htm) indicating that "Giovanni and Giuseppe Dollenz [were]... Nineteenth Century Violin Makers from Trieste." Perhaps, Guy meant that he patterned it after Dollenz's violins? In any case, more information on Dollenz and any pictures of a Dollenz bass would be much appreciated.

On a related note, what characterizes basses from this time period? Body type? Scroll? F-holes? Can one generalize about basses from this area/time period?

I have seen one in person and 1 other pictured. Also, Arron at Robertsons has one of his own as well. That is 3 Dollenz basses in total that I know about. The one that I played was sold as a Guadagnini a few years back but this again is what happens in this business to get higher prices. Who would know the difference?

This is a 7/8ths violin cornered flatback Bass. Typical from what you see with the Italians with a lighter golden brown varnish on the 2 of 3 that I have seen.

When a maker sells a bass modeled after, it can be anything from just a name to a near exact copy. The best copies would include similar species old wood and re-created varnish as well. My Lott copy (now in restoration) was made as close as possible and with old Top wood as well. I have seen copies that were nothing more than a name and some that could pass for a modern original. Perhaps this copy you speak of was modeled after Aaron's own Dollenz. I am sure he will tell you if asked.

Matthew Heintz
02-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks again, Ken. According to Aaron, "the Guy Cole bass was modeled after a bass made Giovanni Dollenz of Trieste Italy dated 1852. Dollenz was considered to be the top maker from Trieste at the time and was reported to have studied with Lorenzo Storioni." Ken, did you notice any similarities between the Dollenz that you saw and Storioni's instruments that you own/have studied? I'm not sure that the dates work out for Dollenz studying with Storioni, but I suppose it depends on their respective ages. In any case, I'd love to check out Guy's work in person, and of course, I'd love to check out your Storioni (although it's completely out of my league).

Ken Smith
02-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks again, Ken. According to Aaron, "the Guy Cole bass was modeled after a bass made Giovanni Dollenz of Trieste Italy dated 1852. Dollenz was considered to be the top maker from Trieste at the time and was reported to have studied with Lorenzo Storioni." Ken, did you notice any similarities between the Dollenz that you saw and Storioni's instruments that you own/have studied? I'm not sure that the dates work out for Dollenz studying with Storioni, but I suppose it depends on their respective ages. In any case, I'd love to check out Guy's work in person, and of course, I'd love to check out your Storioni (although it's completely out of my league).

First off, the bass I saw and my own Bass attributed have nothing in common at all except they are both Basses and both possibly Italian.

In the Book you referenced (do you have the book?), it mentions that he was too young to have studied with Storioni who died in Cremona about 1801/02, about when Dollenz shows up in Trieste. Also, there is no evidence that either was in the town of the other. It is most likely that he used some features from Storioni at best as Storioni was not known for his consistencies but rather hes variation between the instruments he made. G.B. Ceruti was the pupil of Storioni and his successor, not Dollenz.. I think!:confused:

Just going by what I have read. The older books from the 1960s are often in error about dates and teachers. The more recent books like the one from Pio and others by Rosengard and the 'British Violin' book shed more light on actual location, birth, death and possible asscoiations.

If this bass is some copy of a Dollenz, then judge it solely upon that, not who Dollenz may have learned from as the Storioni theory has now been doubted or maybe just challenged. Triesti is quite far from Cremona. Triste is closer to Eastern Europe than Cremona if you look at a map. I don't think they used Helicopters back then to get to the gig!

Matthew Heintz
02-03-2009, 09:44 AM
In the Book you referenced (do you have the book?), it mentions that he was too young to have studied with Storioni who died in Cremona about 1801/02...

According to Aaron...
I'm not sure that the dates work out for Dollenz studying with Storioni...
I wasn't referring to a book, but Aaron Robertson. You are probably right; the dates don't work out. Thanks again for the history and keep us posted on the Storioni.