PDA

View Full Version : A Smith for Life!

Peter McCulloch
02-06-2009, 12:12 AM
Hello, everyone. First-time poster here, though I've checked in from time to time.

I'm a bit late posting this, but I finally purchased my first Smith bass a few months ago after 25 years of hoping I could someday own one. I've wanted one ever since I sent away for a Smith catalog back in the early 80's and seeing a picture of Stanley Clarke on the cover holding this amazing looking Smith bass with all those crazy knobs and switches. (Anybody know the model?). I still have the catalog somewhere.

Anyway, I'm left handed, and it's a '94 CR4 lefty, and boy was it worth the wait. I'm not sure how long Ken has been offering lefties, but they are extremely rare to find, especially the 4 stringers. I also could never afford one, so I was lucky to find this one at a very reasonable price. And, to be perfectly honest, I never completely understood why anyone would pay boutique prices for an instrument when, "A simple Fender P or J will do the job." Well, ignorance is bliss, and now I know better. Nothing against a good 'ole classic Fender J, as I will be buried with my '72 lefty J, but there's simply no comparison. It's funny what you're willing to tolerate when you haven't experienced anything else. My new CR4 is just amazing in every respect, from feel, comfort, tone, and playability, and especially build.

I have owned or have played many other high end instruments such as Alembic, Spector, Wal, Pedulla, etc. But while other basses can be impressive in their own rite I don't think I've ever found a bass that didn't have some minor annoyance or idiosyncrasy. (Why does Rickenbacker still insist on using that crappy outdated bridge?!). Well I'm happy to say that the Smith is perfect. It really feels and plays effortless, and I'm playing better than ever. (There's your new slogan, Ken: "Smith Basses - Bet you didn't know you could be this good." :D)

Lou Laurenti
02-06-2009, 01:24 AM
Hello, everyone. First-time poster here, though I've checked in from time to time.

I'm a bit late posting this, but I finally purchased my first Smith bass a few months ago after 25 years of hoping I could someday own one. I've wanted one ever since I sent away for a Smith catalog back in the early 80's and seeing a picture of Stanley Clarke on the cover holding this amazing looking Smith bass with all those crazy knobs and switches. (Anybody know the model?). I still have the catalog somewhere.

Anyway, I'm left handed, and it's a '94 CR4 lefty, and boy was it worth the wait. I'm not sure how long Ken has been offering lefties, but they are extremely rare to find, especially the 4 stringers. I also could never afford one, so I was lucky to find this one at a very reasonable price. And, to be perfectly honest, I never completely understood why anyone would pay boutique prices for an instrument when, "A simple Fender P or J will do the job." Well, ignorance is bliss, and now I know better. Nothing against a good 'ole classic Fender J, as I will be buried with my '72 lefty J, but there's simply no comparison. It's funny what you're willing to tolerate when you haven't experienced anything else. My new CR4 is just amazing in every respect, from feel, comfort, tone, and playability, and especially build.

I have owned or have played many other high end instruments such as Alembic, Spector, Wal, Pedulla, etc. But while other basses can be impressive in their own rite I don't think I've ever found a bass that didn't have some minor annoyance or idiosyncrasy. (Why does Rickenbacker still insist on using that crappy outdated bridge?!). Well I'm happy to say that the Smith is perfect. It really feels and plays effortless, and I'm playing better than ever. (There's your new slogan, Ken: "Smith Basses - Bet you didn't know you could be this good." :D)

Congrads to you glad your happy and it was nice for you post your story. I have one question me like you have played and owned many basses. I have ordered a Smith I have heard there number one and think they are. Most of the basses you and I have played are 19mm spacing is your Smith 4 string a 18mm or 19mm. If its an 18mm can you tell me how you like it. Im still researching the 18mm vs 19mm spacing

thanks
Lou

Peter McCulloch
02-06-2009, 01:49 AM
It would appear to be 18mm, though truthfully since I've played so many basses I eventually get used to just about any string spacing or neck size, from a pencil neck Hofner to '57 P I can adapt even if it's not my preference. Can you really feel a 1mm difference? I will say that it feels very comfortable to me and not at all cramped. Everything about the neck is so comfortable for me. I'm used to being a tense kind of player, especially in my fretting hand when I'm trying to do difficult passages, but I'm so relaxed with this bass and my motion is just so fluid and at ease. Pure bliss.

Ken Smith
02-06-2009, 01:54 AM
Read the specs (http://www.kensmithbasses.com/options.html) at the bottom of the page..

Peter McCulloch
02-06-2009, 10:10 AM
19mm? Well I used a metric ruler, but truth be told I only measured from the edge of 1 string to another and those little lines are very difficult to see.

Ken Smith
02-06-2009, 11:53 AM
19mm? Well I used a metric ruler, but truth be told I only measured from the edge of 1 string to another and those little lines are very difficult to see.

The measurement is taken as always from center to center of the notch of the string or the diameter of the string itself, not between the strings. The distance between strings will diminish as you measure between the thicker strings but the center-to-center measurements stay the same of cut evenly.

Lou Laurenti
02-06-2009, 12:11 PM
It would appear to be 18mm, though truthfully since I've played so many basses I eventually get used to just about any string spacing or neck size, from a pencil neck Hofner to '57 P I can adapt even if it's not my preference. Can you really feel a 1mm difference? I will say that it feels very comfortable to me and not at all cramped. Everything about the neck is so comfortable for me. I'm used to being a tense kind of player, especially in my fretting hand when I'm trying to do difficult passages, but I'm so relaxed with this bass and my motion is just so fluid and at ease. Pure bliss.

Thank you very much. Im just educating myself with all of you Smith players and of ocourse getting advise from the Master Ken Smith. Its a learing experance.

thanks to all
Lou

Ken Smith
02-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Thank you very much. Im just educating myself with all of you Smith players and of ocourse getting advise from the Master Ken Smith. Its a learing experance.

thanks to all
Lou

The 4-string spacing is actually 19mm, not 18 as was mis-measured in Peter's previous post.

Peter McCulloch
02-06-2009, 02:37 PM
The measurement is taken as always from center to center of the notch of the string or the diameter of the string itself, not between the strings. The distance between strings will diminish as you measure between the thicker strings but the center-to-center measurements stay the same of cut evenly.

Thanks for this info, Ken. Good to know. :)