PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Nashville

Dave Martin
02-17-2009, 07:26 PM
In accordance with what seems to be the protocol here, I'm Dave Martin. I've been playing bass for perilously close to 40 years, and live in Nashville, Tennessee, where I do sessions, play live and run Java Jive, a studio just outside of the city.

Dave Martin
www.javajivestudio.com
Nashville, TN

Oren Hudson
02-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Hello Dave and welcome to this forum. Nashville is a great place. I've not been lately, but over the last 15 or so years, have visited probably 15-20 times. Sounds like you're enjoying it. I'm in Gastonia, North Carolina. Don't tell Richard Prowse (one of our fellow forum members) that I asked you this, but you've surely had grits, right? If grits peak your interest at all, go over to the Bull Pit thread. Go back several posts and you'll find all kinds of grits speak with other stuff mixed in as well. We've had fun with it for several weeks. Side note - my great grandfather's name was Dave Martin! There is still a Martin family reunion each year in late summer near the "home place" about 40 minutes north of Gastonia. We could be related! Many of my relatives on that side, my dad's side, of the family were bass players, so it just came along the family tree to me. :)

Dave Martin
02-17-2009, 11:21 PM
I hope it doesn't lower your opinion of me, Oren, but I'm not a grits fan. Perhaps that's because as a child, the grits I was served seemed more like a building material than a food item. Or maybe it's simply that if I'm going to have a grain at breakfast, I would rather it be wheat - ideally, made into piping hot home-made pancakes. :)

Richard Prowse
02-19-2009, 12:27 AM
I hope it doesn't lower your opinion of me, Oren, but I'm not a grits fan.
Looks like the 'we like grits' episode' on the Down here (NZ) thread might be starting to puff; pardon the pun.

I almost feel like using two green guys and a 'lots of laughs' abbreviation!
Lol!:D:D

Oren Hudson
02-19-2009, 08:16 AM
Nah Dave, doesn't lower my opinion - but doesn't raise it any either:p. Just picking on you my Tennessee pal. I know that I mentioned about my Great Grandfather being Dave Martin etc. Now, on my mother's side, those roots go back to a place outside Knoxville called "Strange Hollow." Not strange as in different, but as in the proper name Strange. That's her maiden name. You've mentioned pancakes - what better combo than pancakes and grits! I'll bet that you might change your mind if you had some that my wife made. Well, maybe not. lol:D:D as my friend Richard stated. You think that maybe he's referencing Puff Daddy?:confused:

Dave Martin
02-20-2009, 01:33 AM
Well, Oren - I'm probably not quite old enough to be your great grandfather (even by Tennessee standards :) ) but everybody - even North Carolinians - knows that the best thing for pancakes is a few strips of good bacon. There's something about bacon with a little maple syrup that makes me smile...

Joel Larsson
02-20-2009, 05:18 AM
A Scandinavian favourite for pancakes is cottage cheese and your favourite jam - mashed apples!!
Ah, homemade apple jam... haven't had for ages, it seems. This bachelor life is not be the ideal way of living once you get over the freedom thing. '

Welcome here, Dave. I haven't been around for long but the musings of Richard and Oren are already a rather dear part of my day.:)

NP: Cat Stevens - Where do the Children Play

Oren Hudson
02-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Dave, I'll A+ the bacon and maple syrup and Joel, A+ the jam (grape jelly for me) but not a fan of cottage cheese. I believe that the better choice would be substitute grits for the cottage cheese IMO. :D

Also glad that someone other than Richard, me, and sometimes Anselm and David look at our banter on the Pit Bull. Lots of BS, but we have fun with it.:)

Joel Larsson
02-20-2009, 06:21 PM
And lots of grits...

Another favourite pancake option is cottage cheese, honey, and walnuts. But that seems a bit Mediterranean.

I actually checked out grits on Wikipedia. It's something polenta-like? I think I'd like that. My parents were vegetarians when I was little and they were into all this strange stuff, which I loved back then but is near impossible to translate since the words just won't show up in the online dictionary. But once I started going to kindergarten it was all about factory produced food. Took me ages to get over it and start explore new stuff again.

Today, I had some semla in hetvägg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semla
You haven't had a pastry until you've had that. It has the flavour of a time when you still had oxens and ground your wheat in a windmill. Criminally overlooked worldwide. In that article it says that is is also traditional in Norway, but the Norse guys I had it with today didn't know what it was!!
Oh, the shock, the horror.

Serving it in a bowl of hot milk with some cinnamon is the trick. Then you can take the 'hat' off first, and dip it into the milk. Aah. I am currently in a state of gastronomic euphoria.

NP: Bruce Springsteen - Working on a Dream

Richard Prowse
02-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Today, I had some semla in hetvägg.
I'd go for a semla over grits any day!
My mother used to make bread and butter pudding when I was a kid. That was nice!

Oren Hudson
02-20-2009, 10:36 PM
I'm glad you're coming around - semla on top of grits - sounds like a true delight! If your mom had added bananas to the bread and butter pudding, you would have gotten what we in the South call banana pudding. Ever had banana pudding my friend Richard? :confused:

So Joel, tell me about your criminal Norse friends that you had lunch with today? Sounds pretty exciting. I'm guessing that you gave them the story of semla. Every time I put this semla word down, I want to put Selma, as in Alabama, instead. Now there's a good ole Southern state that knows the pleasure of grits. And speaking of milk, do you ever have peanut butter-crakers and milk? I had a few just moments ago. In closing, I need a clue - NP??? :o

Richard Prowse
02-20-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm glad you're coming around - semla on top of grits - sounds like a true delight! If your mom had added bananas to the bread and butter pudding, you would have gotten what we in the South call banana pudding. Ever had banana pudding my friend Richard? :confused:
:o No, but I'm keen to try it.

Joel Larsson
02-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Oren, NP is short for "now playing." It's a desperate way to express your sophisticated taste in music, or to hope for human contact through a response from another person who shares (and maybe admires) your sophisticated taste in music (and your loneliness, perhaps due to your delving too deep into the vast realms of sophisticated music).

Actually, a semla on grits could work, especially if there is some hot milk in the mix.

NP: Beirut - No Dice

Richard Prowse
02-21-2009, 03:14 PM
NP: Beirut - No Dice
Can I loan them some?

Joel Larsson
02-21-2009, 06:46 PM
I don't know, Richard. But probably. They are one of those bands who desperately needs more listeners, hence me being so desperate to tell the world that I am cool enough to listen to them. They probably need money too.

Dave Martin
02-22-2009, 12:15 PM
They probably need money too.
Don't we all?

Joel Larsson
02-22-2009, 04:35 PM
That reminds me that we strayed way off topic here. You're still most welcome, Dave!

NP: Yoko Kanno - Run Rabbit Junk

Richard Prowse
02-22-2009, 10:58 PM
That reminds me that we strayed way off topic here. You're still most welcome, Dave!

No Joel, WE didn't stray off topic, you and Oran did.

NP. NHOP - This is all I ask.

Joel Larsson
02-23-2009, 05:13 AM
Dang... I always try to assume that there is a collective responsibility whenever possible. Now when I know it's all my fault, I won't be able to sleep at night!

Richard Prowse
02-23-2009, 11:56 AM
Dang... I always try to assume that there is a collective responsibility whenever possible. Now when I know it's all my fault, I won't be able to sleep at night!
Isn't it always daytime in Norway for about six months of the year? You won't need to sleep.

Oren Hudson
02-23-2009, 12:43 PM
We stray a lot around here. That's exactly how I ended up with 3 of the 5 dogs that I currently have. One was a rescue from the pound and the other I inherited from my mother upon her death last July. Quite a group. The largest is a 105 pound Yellow Lab and the smallest is a 10 pound Shiatsu. In between are a 32 pounder overgrown Miniature Schnauzer, a 45 pound Black Lab/Australian Shepherd mix and 45 pound Pit Bull/Doberman mix. :)

Richard Prowse
02-23-2009, 12:53 PM
We stray a lot around here. That's exactly how I ended up with 3 of the 5 dogs that I currently have. One was a rescue from the pound and the other I inherited from my mother upon her death last July. Quite a group. The largest is a 105 pound Yellow Lab and the smallest is a 10 pound Shiatsu. In between are a 32 pounder overgrown Miniature Schnauzer, a 45 pound Black Lab/Australian Shepherd mix and 45 pound Pit Bull/Doberman mix. :)
I think that this post was really just an excuse, my grit munching friend, so that you could tell us about your dogs.

Oren Hudson
02-23-2009, 01:15 PM
I think that this post was really just an excuse, my grit munching friend, so that you could tell us about your dogs.

Huhu sticks. You saw right through the devious ploy to talk about my children. Oh well, you know how parents can be sometime. The "stray" opening was just too much for me to ignore. ;)

Oren Hudson
02-23-2009, 01:21 PM
I think that this post was really just an excuse, my grit munching friend, to tell you just how wonderful I truly believe that you are. I so wish that I could be your neighbor so that we could jam and jam and jam and then throw in some grits.

I feel the same way my friend Richard. We've gotten real close over the last couple of months or so. :eek:

Richard Prowse
02-23-2009, 02:20 PM
I feel the same way my friend Richard. We've gotten real close over the last couple of months or so. :eek:
We must be 'neighbors'! I'm starting to write American English, oh neighbourly friend! Next thing I'll be using 'practice' as a verb! :eek:
There, I used a face and it didn't hurt!

Joel Larsson
02-23-2009, 05:03 PM
Isn't it always daytime in Norway for about six months of the year? You won't need to sleep.

Up here, yes, we have midnight sun. But that's in summer, which I reckon you have down there, but here, we just had a blizzard of sorts. And it's not too late in the year for northern lights!

I would love having a dog or two. It seems that you have all I wish for, Oren. Except that you still have hair. Do you also own your house? I am currently experienceing the downsides of renting apartments, and a dream has taken form in my mind of a small red house on the Swedish countryside which I actually own.

Could you please tell me which form of English I use, my wise friends?

Richard Prowse
02-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Could you please tell me which form of English I use, my wise friends?
Swenglish.

Oren Hudson
02-23-2009, 11:09 PM
Swenglish? You've been in the Boone's Farm again haven't you Richard. Swenglish is when Swen, the stable boy, and Glish, the fair maiden, join together as one, and become Swen Glish. Now that that's clear, what was the question again? Oh yea, English. I'm not sure. I think I was out that day in school. Probably down at the beer joint (Southern States English) suckin' down some pitchers of Budweiser and trying to pick up girls. So, you might be right after all, my friend Richard.

Speaking of Midnight Sun, there was once a really groovy night spot in Charlotte called The Midnight Sun. With a place called The Cellar being my favorite, The Midnight Sunn was up there too. I frequented those and a few others during my high school and college days. Lots of suds, hot chics and good bands. Good memories indeed. :)

Both Donna and I have always been lovers of dogs. We actually had one that adopted us prior our marriage. Through our nearly 35 years of marriage, we've had, including the 5 that we have now, a total of 19 dogs! :eek: I could have been a millionaire with the money spent on them, but wouldn't want to trade. The first black dog that we had was named Midnight. Sorry about the hair. Happy you have such good tastes in wishing for the things that I have. At your age, I had those wishes too. So, my young bass thumpin pal, the best is yet to come. As to the house, yes, it's ours. It's part of your dream. It is barn RED. But located in the City of Gastonia. We are both city slickers and love it. We do, however, have nearly 1 1/2 acres, so we're not cramped for being in the city. :)

NP: Junior Walker and the Allstars - Shotgun (Note to Richard. Since one of your brothers plays sax, you should add Shotgun to your set list. One of my favorite bass lines too.)

Joel Larsson
02-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Ah, yes, back then you people used 'groovy' all the time. I like 'The Cellar.' Maybe the club was situated in a cellar?

Gastonia didn't have a hockey team in the NHL when I was a kid still collecting hockey cards, so I am afraid I haven't heard of it. But it is probably not super big. Tromsö is neat. About 70,000 inhabitants. Pretty much for being so far north, actually. But I have found that the countryside is more my thing. I grew up in a city about as big as Tromsö, and city folk seem so cold and self-obsessed compared to the people on the Värmländska countryside! The people of Northern Norway are real nice, though. You may even say 'groovy.'

NP: Emiliana Torrini - Dead Duck

Anselm Hauke
02-24-2009, 01:12 PM
.... Värmländska countryside! The people of Northern Norway are real nice, though. You may even say 'groovy.'

np: monica zetterlund - ack värmeland, du sköna :)

Joel Larsson
02-24-2009, 02:39 PM
np: monica zetterlund - ack värmeland, du sköna :)

Cheers to that!
She was a very good actress, too. Was in quite a few of Hasse & Tage's films.

Anselm Hauke
02-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Cheers to that!
She was a very good actress, too. Was in quite a few of Hasse & Tage's films.
there are some nice clips of her on youtube with bill evans, i like the sound of her voice.
who is Hasse & Tage?
the kaurismäkis of the 50s?

Anselm Hauke
02-24-2009, 03:05 PM
In accordance with what seems to be the protocol here, I'm Dave Martin. I've been playing bass for perilously close to 40 years, and live in Nashville, Tennessee, where I do sessions, play live and run Java Jive, a studio just outside of the city.

Dave Martin
www.javajivestudio.com (http://www.javajivestudio.com)
Nashville, TN

hi dave, sorry, it´s your thread...:o

Oren Hudson
02-24-2009, 11:32 PM

You are exactly right, my friend Anselm. Let's move this line over to the Bull Pit, or as I like to reference it, the Pit Bull. So, see ya there. :)

Dave Martin
02-25-2009, 01:38 AM
Nah - you guys are having fun; I'm not gonna interrupt. :)

Joel Larsson
02-25-2009, 03:11 AM
there are some nice clips of her on youtube with bill evans, i like the sound of her voice.
who is Hasse & Tage?
the kaurismäkis of the 50s?

Ah, they are iconic in Sweden. Made cabaret shows, movies, and wrote books, with an incredible sense for witty jokes, political satire, and also (at times) an incredible depth. Think they were active from the late 50's and into the 80's when Tage died. Usually, our domestic products rarely keep up with the international standard, as our pop music from the 80's will hint at, but Bergman, Hasse & Tage and Lars Molin did know how to make a film. A Hasse & Tage flick probably wouldn't make it through the translation, though.

Otherwise, the only thing we generally do better than most is heavy metal...:eek:

And Dave; please do interrupt! Shared fun is greater fun. What's YOUR take on heavy metal, for instance?? :confused:

Dave Martin
02-26-2009, 11:46 AM
And Dave; please do interrupt! Shared fun is greater fun. What's YOUR take on heavy metal, for instance?? :confused:

Well, the best answer to that is a quote from my friend Tommy Wells - a quote that I've taken to heart. This applies to all sorts of music, by the way - from showtunes to polkas, from country to emo. Ready?

"If they're payin', I'm playin'."

:rolleyes:

Joel Larsson
02-27-2009, 04:11 AM
+1 to that. I hope some day I'll be able to say no to a job, because I wouldn't be desperate for money and I couldn't cope with the program, but I figure that'll never happen unless I marry an excessively rich, understanding and supporting woman.

Dave Martin
02-27-2009, 09:09 AM
+1 to that. I hope some day I'll be able to say no to a job, because I wouldn't be desperate for money and I couldn't cope with the program, but I figure that'll never happen unless I marry an excessively rich, understanding and supporting woman.
Well, I have an excessively understanding and supporting wife - just not a rich one...

Richard Prowse
02-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Well, I have an excessively understanding and supporting wife - just not a rich one...
Dave, I think the 'rich' bit was the important bit in Joel's statement.

Dave Martin
02-27-2009, 11:51 PM
Dave, I think the 'rich' bit was the important bit in Joel's statement.
No doubt. :)

Joel Larsson
02-28-2009, 04:35 AM
Not necessarily! How about marrying an excessively rich, but inconsiderate and egoistic woman, who guards her treasure like a dragon? I'd take a poor but understanding and supportive woman any day.

NP: Fleetwood Mac - Don't Stop

Richard Prowse
02-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Not necessarily! How about marrying an excessively rich, but inconsiderate and egoistic woman, who guards her treasure like a dragon? I'd take a poor but understanding and supportive woman any day.

Joel, sometimes you are a challenge!

Richard Prowse
02-28-2009, 07:45 AM
Joel, sometimes you are a challenge!
Wait until Oran gets back!

Oren Hudson
03-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Can I not be gone for a couple of days and you guys not behave?:mad: Between this and the Pit Bull sniping, I shutter to think about what's gonna happen with ya'll in June while I'm vacationing at the beach for over 10 days. :confused: Well, it's like that saying - "A woman is like a fine whine. Either she or you will always whine, whine, whine about something. How about some cheese to go with it? :D

Richard Prowse
03-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Can I not be gone for a couple of days and you guys not behave?:mad: Between this and the Pit Bull sniping, I shutter to think about what's gonna happen with ya'll in June while I'm vacationing at the beach for over 10 days.
Anselm started it! He said he didn't like Cat Stevens. And then he called me Prowsey. Then he said that all bass players are deaf!

Oren Hudson
03-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Anselm started it! He said he didn't like Stevens cat. And then he called me Prissey. Then he said that all bass players are Def Leopard wannabes.

Maybe Anselm is a dog lover like me. I can't say that I'm particularly fond of cats myself. Is "Prissey" a term of endearment for you my friend Richard, or do you view it as derogatory? Again, not much of a fan of Def Leopard. Cool name though. Unfortunately, we started getting SNOW about 5:45PM today (Sunday) and it's now up to about 6 inches and a few more are expected. Pretty rare for us to get snow at all, but very, very rare to get this much. I just saw the week's forecast and the predicted high for Saturday is 68. Go figure! :)

Joel Larsson
03-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Nobody blames me? You won't really let me get away with all the mischief I've been doing, will you?? :eek:

NP: Johnny Flynn - The Box

Oren Hudson
03-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Of course not, you wild child. Richard's gonna woop you so bad, it's gonna leave a mark! :mad:

That reminds me of a childhood story that I laugh about every time that I think of it. My dad's dad left the family when dad was fairly young. My dad's brother is only about 4 or so years older than I am. All of the children had married and left home except for my uncle David. My grandmother couldn't control that wild child, so my dad told his mother to mark on a wall calender every day that uncle David badly misbehaved, and that on our weekly visit, dad would take the belt to him for every mark on the calender. I think that I've told you about all the woopins that I got as a hard headed wild child. So, I was delighted that someone else was gong to be the recipient of one or more of them. Next time we visited grandmother Hudson's house, I ran full steam to check on the calender to see if it had marks. My uncle David, probably 12 years old, saw us coming and took off running. I never did get to see him get the belt. I remind him of that from time to time. :)

Richard Prowse
03-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Of course not, you wild child. Richard's gonna woop you so bad, it's gonna leave a mark! :mad:

Oran, my hard headed friend, steady on - I'm really a non violent sort! I'm a man of peace (though, which piece I'm not sure). I'll talk to Joel; that's the best I can do.
Joel, stop being so damn stubborn. Try to see things from different angles. Try to bend like a tree in the wind. Do you get wind Up there (Norway)? I know you don't get night time. Maybe all you all need is a good sleep. I'm sure that sleep would mellow you out. Buy some really thick curtains.

Anselm Hauke
03-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Buy some really thick curtains.
that´s one of the most remarkable sentences i ever read in a bass-forum.
thank you richard

Richard Prowse
03-02-2009, 06:17 PM
that´s one of the most remarkable sentences i ever read in a bass-forum.
thank you richard
My wife bought us some really thick curtains. Now, when I get up in the night, it's a challenge to find the bathroom.

Anselm Hauke
03-02-2009, 06:38 PM
My wife bought us some really thick curtains. Now, when I get up in the night, it's a challenge to find the bathroom.

less cardonnay --> sleep through

Richard Prowse
03-02-2009, 06:44 PM
less cardonnay --> sleep through
Less chardonnay ---> sleep through ---> wet pyjama pants

Anselm Hauke
03-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Less chardonnay ---> sleep through ---> wet pyjama pants

dave, i am very sorry for your thread... :)

Dave Martin
03-02-2009, 08:36 PM
dave, i am very sorry for your thread... :)
These things happen - especially when wine or beer gets involved. :)

Richard Prowse
03-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Is Haukey drinking both wine and beer?

Oren Hudson
03-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Don't be sorry my friend Anselm. That's reserved for the fantastic Patsy Cline. What a singer! Left us much too early, but she left us with a ton of great music. Forget the beer and wine, just enjoy Patsy straight up. :)

Richard Prowse
03-03-2009, 02:04 PM
Don't wine be my reserved friend sorry Anselm. That's Patsy for Cline the singer . What a ton! Left early, but she left us with a of great music. Forget Patsy the beer and, just enjoy fantastic straight up us much too. :)
Sorry Oren, my friend, but this makes no sense to me.

Joel Larsson
03-03-2009, 02:34 PM

I had to quit drinking when I moved to Norway. I think that earned me some of my honorary extra years.
We had night all the time not very long ago. I sleep very well, thank you. Perhaps, dear Richard, I actually DO see things from a different perspective? If I didn't, I'd just agree with you! Now, if you only tried to see things from a different perspective, you'd see that I am completely right!!

Uh-oh, I can almost feel the belt hitting my piggy pink bottom already...

NP: Amanda Jenssen - Darling, Go Home

Richard Prowse
03-03-2009, 06:23 PM
My dad used to call me Sony Boy when he was angry with me, Sony Boy.

Joel Larsson
03-04-2009, 03:48 AM
I used to listen to Sonny Boy Williamson back in the day when I was a sonny boy.

Oren Hudson
03-04-2009, 09:56 AM
Richard - did he call Sony Boy right before he woop you? A favorite of mine was "This is gonna hurt me worse than you." How could that be? Later I learned the meaning when correcting my own. :)

You Sonny Boys need to find your Chers. Then post pics. I'm sure that they're easy, right? ;)

Joel Larsson
03-05-2009, 05:10 AM
I'd actually prefer a Nancy Sinatra. Is that okay?

Dave Martin
03-05-2009, 08:11 AM
I'd actually prefer a Nancy Sinatra. Is that okay?
"And one of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you...."

Joel Larsson
03-05-2009, 12:32 PM
Those words incites a feeling of impending doom in me. Why can't I stop being cheeky?

NP: The UN webcast of their "Unlearning Intolerance" series of seminars

Oren Hudson
03-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Ah yes. Nancy Sinatra. She could have walked all over me several times and I would have asked for more each time, one boot at a time. :)

Well, I'm straying, but speaking of hot chics and that time period, I'm reminded of another band story. This one's from The Surfin' Birds band, circa 1965-1967. In those days, you could get mic stands that had a bright chrome base. Pretty much a mirror. Well, anyway - the band had a Go Go dancer. Being the evil teenager that I was, it didn't take me long to realize that, when she was dancing near me and my mic stand, I could see all the way up her mini-skirt! Wow, what a thrill for this young bass player. Sure do miss chrome mic stands and mini-skirts. :D

Joel Larsson
03-06-2009, 04:46 AM
Wooow... those days! How many bands have a dancer as part of their lineup these days? I could only think of the Tubes, and they've been around for 30 years now!

Dave Martin
03-06-2009, 05:49 PM
Wooow... those days! How many bands have a dancer as part of their lineup these days? I could only think of the Tubes, and they've been around for 30 years now!
Well, I saw David Byrne on TV the other night, and he had what could be called 'dancers'. (They were primarily rolling around in chairs, but still...)

Joel Larsson
03-07-2009, 10:28 AM
And of course, a live appearance by, say, Pussycat Dolls involves more dancing than singing, really... Byrne kind of qualifies as quality music, though.

NP: Chroma Key - Dead Radio