PDA

View Full Version : Greetings

Steve Alcott
03-12-2009, 12:21 AM
I'm Steve Alcott. Been freelancing in NYC 30ish years. Just got from Arnold Schnitzer a Shen Rogeri (Ruggieri?) with which I am most pleased. My longest running gig is with Western Caravan (westerncaravan.com), going on 14 years. I was in the house band at Eddie Condon's in the early 80s, did some off B'way, clubdates, etc. Played a lot at Gregory's with Joe Puma, and at Jimmy Weston's with Tommy Furtado. Spent some crazy time with Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks ("Alive and Lickin'"). Also played in Don Byron's Klezmer Orchestra, did some touring with him. I also play pedal steel guitar.

Ken Smith
03-12-2009, 12:26 AM
I'm Steve Alcott. Been freelancing in NYC 30ish years. Just got from Arnold Schnitzer a Shen Rogeri (Ruggieri?) with which I am most pleased. My longest running gig is with Western Caravan (westerncaravan.com), going on 14 years. I was in the house band at Eddie Condon's in the early 80s, did some off B'way, clubdates, etc. Played a lot at Gregory's with Joe Puma, and at Jimmy Weston's with Tommy Furtado. Spent some crazy time with Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks ("Alive and Lickin'"). Also played in Don Byron's Klezmer Orchestra, did some touring with him. I also play pedal steel guitar.

Jimmy Weston's with Tommy Furtado? I played there with him as well. Arnie Wise was the drummer. John Guilino had the gig and I subbed for him there several times over the years. I met Andre the Giant there one night on the break.

Oren Hudson
03-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Welcome to the forum Scott. Sounds like a pretty interesting musical time in your life. Here's the first question that I always ask noobs. Have you ever had grits with melted butter on top? A true Southern treat. I'm pretty sure you didn't have any in NYC. Right? Also, a warning about a fellow forum member and friend of mine, Richard Prowse. He is one of the finest bass guys on here, but sometimes his brain is on cruise control and there are a couple of us that are in the same vehicle with him. :D

Joel Larsson
03-12-2009, 05:56 PM
One might also wonder whether or not you have had the opportunity to have a semla, perhaps even in hot milk and with some cinnamon? A treat from the heart of Scandinavia, this. Unfortunately, I am currently residing with the rich degenerates on the Western frontier, where this tradition is slightly on demise, along with everything else apart from the wages. Yes, I myself am from Sweden, and failed the grits test. Apparently, they're polenta-like, texture-wise. Perhaps they are also similar to sesame? I am a big fan of Tahini, on bread (perhaps paired with cucumber and wheat sprouts) or in houmous. The aforementioned Richard is more inte some strange beetles they eat in his Maori community.
What's your digestive thrill, Steve?

Richard Prowse
03-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Actually, we have a famous dish Down here (NZ) called Kentucky Fried Kiwi. It's pretty easy to prepare - the hardest part is catching a good sized kiwi. The 'Kentucky' part owes its name to some secret recipe that was originally used to cook chicken. Kiwi has less meat than chicken and tastes a little like wild pig. Down here (NZ) its normally served with chips. Grits are used Down here (NZ) too, but only to clean dirty pans that have been used to fry kiwi - the gritty part gets off the stubborn bits of fried kiwi. Grits certainly are handy!

Oren Hudson
03-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Actually, we have a famous dish Down here (NZ) called Kentucky Fried Kiwi Grits. It's pretty easy to prepare - the hardest part is catching a good sized kiwi and getting it to jump in the pot of grits. The 'Kentucky' part owes its name to some secret recipe that was originally used to cook chicken grits!

Richard, I'm just glad you didn't add them Yankee bananas with this concoction. More than your belly would be blue had you done that. How about we just have some green shrimp. I believe that we're headed to the fish camp called Long Creek a little later and that's definitely what I'll be gettin. And by the way, my un-abbreviated friend, my wife fixes a great dish that is, in fact, shrimp & grits. A great meal. :)

Richard Prowse
03-13-2009, 10:27 PM
And by the way, my un-abbreviated friend, my wife fixes a great dish that is, in fact, shrimp & grits. A great meal. :)
Shrimp & grits are
Fish n chips
Without the spud,
No need for batter.

Shrimp & grits are
Fish n chips
No paper wrap,
Served on a platter.

Steve Alcott
03-21-2009, 12:21 AM
I grew up in West Texas, so I do have a passing familiarity with grits. Two fave culinary treats for me: the 15th Century couscous at Bistro Marrakech in Inwood where I live, and the chopped beef sandwich at Tom and Bingo's BBQ in Lubbock where I'm from. Also the Swedish meatballs at the community center in Jokkmokk, Sweden in February during the Rennfest when it's 40 below.
Weston's was quite a scene between John Gotti and entourage on Wednesdays, Hugh Carey singing "New York, New York", various sports types and "Olde New York" supper club denizens. There was always something surreal to keep a bass player awake during the last set. Arnie subbed a few times during my tenure, as did Ron Zito and the late Joe Cocuzzo. I was fired briefly for taking off one too many Saturdays, but it enabled me to use Bobby Pratt's immortal line, "What good's a steady gig if you can't take off?" I learned a lot of tunes on that gig. Ended up with the house B-18, too.

Oren Hudson
03-21-2009, 01:10 AM
Well Steve, sounds like you've got some cool things going on. The BBQ is Delicious and Rennfest being just way too cool, not to mention the Gotti Group. What's the time ?

Steve Alcott
03-21-2009, 01:49 PM
The time for most of this is the past, although I'll be in Lubbock next week. Weston's, Condon's, and most of the places I worked regularly are long gone.

Richard Prowse
03-21-2009, 05:32 PM
The time for most of this is the past, although I'll be in Lubbock next week. Weston's, Condon's, and most of the places I worked regularly are long gone.
There's a place called Condon? No wonder they changed it!

Steve Alcott
03-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Eddie Condon's (named after the guitarist and raconteur) and Jimmy Ryan's were the last two remaining clubs from the 52nd St. era of jazz in NYC. They both featured "Chicago Style" bands; trumpet, clarinet, trombone, piano, bass, drums playing standards and Dixieland tunes. Roy Eldridge led the band at Ryan's until he was forced by health problems to stop playing; Spanky Davis took over and led the band til the club closed. The band at Condon's was led by Ed Polcer; both bands drew from the same group of compatible players, although the Ryan's band was more set, personnelwise. My time at Condon's and occasionally Ryan's was like a post graduate course taught by players who originated the style.