PDA

View Full Version : David Grossman

Arnold Schnitzer
02-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Anybody out there who does not know David's work is in for a big, pleasant surprise. As a teenager, David played and toured with the great jazz pianist Marcus Roberts. Before graduating Juilliard, he became a member of the NY Philharmonic's bass section. David has two new CD's out; "Bass of Both Worlds". One is a jazz record of mostly David's originals for rhythm section and three horns. The other is a record of classical works for solo bass with piano. To say David is equally at home in jazz or classical music is an understatement. Oh, I almost forgot--in school David was a key member of the jazz group. On Piano!!!! Anyway, to check out soundclips of his CD's, and to order, go to www.davidjgrossman.com (http://www.davidjgrossman.com) .

No we are not related.

Ken Smith
02-17-2007, 11:07 PM
Arnold, thx for posting this. I went on the 'site and listened to all the clip samples. That guy has some serious chops. On the classical clips, he was unbelievable with speed, accuracy and intonation high high up in thumb position on the 'G'. Thoroughly impressive. Again, thanks for the 'heads up'!

Nick Hart
02-28-2007, 03:29 PM
David Grossman is a great player, great teacher, and all around great guy. His CDs are excellent, and he is even more amazing to listen to in person. I've been fortunate enough to go to a couple of his recitals and play in some masterclasses for him, and wow is all that can be said.

David Grossman has something incredibly rare, that everybody should listen to him for. He is one of the few orchestral players that isn't just a solid player but a musician and an artist. This is very rare for people who have gone as far as he did in the orchestra world. His musicality is amazing, and his knowledge is unmatched. But then again, when you take a composition, jazz piano, classical piano, jazz bass, and classical bass less every week through high school, that makes one hell of a musician.

Anybody who hasn't heard his CDs - buy them...If you haven't heard him play - next recital he gives go to it, and if there ever is a masterclass by him attend it and play in it if you can. I guarantee it will change you as a bassist and a musician.

Arnold Schnitzer
03-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Whenever I see David I ask him if he's working on his conducting chops. He has the talent and intellect to run a major symphony orchestra, not only be playing in the back row. Usually he just smiles and says "not yet".

stan haskins
03-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Wow. Those recordings are great.

Is he using solo tuning on the Janacek?

Matthew Tucker
03-08-2007, 04:30 PM
The Marcus Roberts CD "Time and Cir***stance" is just fantastic, I've been looking for more recordings of David ever since I first put that CD in my deck.