Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) (http://www.smithbassforums.com//index.php)
-   Smith Basses, Handmade (http://www.smithbassforums.com//forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Should she be rescued? (http://www.smithbassforums.com//showthread.php?t=2701)

Adam Scott 01-21-2017 09:41 AM

Should she be rescued?

4 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
I recently came across a used 96' Smith CR4J and was wondering if anyone has any insight on this model. I've loved the sound and playability of Smith basses ever since I was first introduced to them and the prospect of being able to rescue this O'l girl from just collecting dust seems impassable. She's been played a lot but she's been loved. The only real blemishes are player wear where you'd expect to find it but the varnish is worn through pretty much to the wood in a couple of spots. The input jack has a bad connection but all the pots and electronics seem to be working. I'm also curious as to whether or not it would be possible, and at $800 asking price with case, worth it to have it set up to original specs and input jack repaired. I'm not so worried about the finish, I think it tells it's story and gives it character.

Thanks for any and all opinions.

Ken Smith 01-21-2017 09:58 AM

Rescue?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Scott (Post 27936)
Hi all,
I recently came across a used 96' Smith CR4J and was wondering if anyone has any insight on this model. I've loved the sound and playability of Smith basses ever since I was first introduced to them and the prospect of being able to rescue this O'l girl from just collecting dust seems impassable. She's been played a lot but she's been loved. The only real blemishes are player wear where you'd expect to find it but the varnish is worn through pretty much to the wood in a couple of spots. The input jack has a bad connection but all the pots and electronics seem to be working. I'm also curious as to whether or not it would be possible, and at $800 asking price with case, worth it to have it set up to original specs and input jack repaired. I'm not so worried about the finish, I think it tells it's story and gives it character.

Thanks for any and all opinions.

If you are asking me (and I have no idea who else can answer this here), what is there to Rescue if you just need a new Jack and set-up if the finish is ok for you and the bass works fine?

Shipping the bass to us back and forth will cost more than a set-up and new Jack. Re-finish on the other hand can exceed that $800 figure as this takes time and time is money.

Email me if you have questions about repairs and restoration work. support@kensmithbasses.com

Adam Scott 01-21-2017 10:14 AM

Ken,
Thank you for responding. As far as "rescuing" goes I was just referring to the fact that it's sitting in a pawn shop collecting dust and in my opinion an instrument of this caliber deserves better. I'm seriously considering picking it up and if/when I do I'll send it in for repair and setup.

Thanks

Ken Smith 01-21-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Scott (Post 27938)
Ken,
Thank you for responding. As far as "rescuing" goes I was just referring to the fact that it's sitting in a pawn shop collecting dust and in my opinion an instrument of this caliber deserves better. I'm seriously considering picking it up and if/when I do I'll send it in for repair and setup.

Thanks

If the neck is good, then the price is cheap. Get it.