Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) (http://www.smithbassforums.com//index.php)
-   Smith Basses, Handmade (http://www.smithbassforums.com//forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   side dots on fretless (http://www.smithbassforums.com//showthread.php?t=1905)

Hazza Evang 05-20-2011 11:33 AM

side dots on fretless

Are the side dots on your fretless basses in the same position as your fretted ones?
A friend of mine has found a fretless 6 and wants to send it in to be fretted up

cheers

Tim Bishop 05-20-2011 11:40 AM

Side dots?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazza Evang (Post 22665)
Are the side dots on your fretless basses in the same position as your fretted ones?
A friend of mine has found a fretless 6 and wants to send it in to be fretted up

cheers

No. Side dots on the fretless are located at the fret-line, not in-between as on a fretted bass.

Hazza Evang 05-20-2011 12:04 PM

great thanks

Ken Smith 05-20-2011 12:36 PM

well..

We make the fretless in 2 ways.

If slotted with lines, we put the dot in the middle between lines like between frets on a fretted bass.

If not slotted, blank board, then we put them ON the fret line, not between them.

Fretless boards are usually made thicker then fretted boards to make up for the height it would have 'with' frets for the bridge height.

We slot the boards on a gang saw 'before' the board is glued to the neck during the building process.

Slotting a neck thru bass 'after' it has been made fretless is very difficult to do without damaging the bass, mainly the body area. Also, accuracy will be nearly impossible.

We would prefer to take off that board and replace it with a newly made slotted board which would involve refinishing the bass as well.

If you want to take it to some shop in your area to have it fretted, I wish you the best, you will need it!

Tim Bishop 05-20-2011 12:43 PM

Yep...

Yep, should've included that distinction. Mine is a blank fretless fretboard, thus, side dots are at the fret-line.

Hazza Evang 05-20-2011 01:09 PM

no will let him know, don't want to ruin it, leave it as a fretless

cheers

Tim Bishop 05-20-2011 01:14 PM

Yep...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazza Evang (Post 22672)
....leave it as a fretless

cheers

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Bob Faulkner 05-23-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hazza Evang (Post 22665)

cheers

As a devoted fretless lover, let me emphatically ask that you PLEASE not mangle a perfectly good fretless by putting frets on it.. There is an overabundance of fretted bases out there to choose from.

Ken Smith 05-23-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner (Post 22683)
As a devoted fretless lover, let me emphatically ask that you PLEASE not mangle a perfectly good fretless by putting frets on it.. There is an overabundance of fretted bases out there to choose from.

So Bob, would that be sort of like Bronzing a Gold Medal?:D:eek:

Bob Faulkner 06-01-2011 04:16 PM

You could put it that way!