Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) (http://www.smithbassforums.com//index.php)
-   Woods, Electronics, & Components (http://www.smithbassforums.com//forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Electronics - "NEW" Smith B.M.T. 3-Band EQ 18-volt Circuit? (http://www.smithbassforums.com//showthread.php?t=2845)

Anthony Baker 11-15-2021 02:16 AM

Electronics - "NEW" Smith B.M.T. 3-Band EQ 18-volt Circuit?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and starting to learn a lot more about Ken Smith basses. My understanding is that new, recent Ken Smith basses come with a 3-band EQ with a 18-volt circuit.

I'm curious about when did the new circuit come out, and how it compares to older 9-volt circuits.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Ken Smith 11-15-2021 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony Baker (Post 28559)
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and starting to learn a lot more about Ken Smith basses. My understanding is that new, recent Ken Smith basses come with a 3-band EQ with a 18-volt circuit.

I'm curious about when did the new circuit come out, and how it compares to older 9-volt circuits.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

The current circuit came out in 2004, so quite some time ago. The 3 differences are, 1-stronger pots, 2-uses 2 batteries for 18v so drain is slower. Also head room for distortion is higher but there was not problem with the 8v on the HR but it;s just there. and 3-the internal DIP switch which can alter the center frequency for each band. The two best combinations to my ear are the old or the new settings. The new default setting in my opinion work best but, the switch is there if you wanna change it Usually I get calls how to go back to how it was made when the loose the instructions.. lol..

Anthony Baker 11-15-2021 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Smith (Post 28562)
The current circuit came out in 2004, so quite some time ago. The 3 differences are, 1-stronger pots, 2-uses 2 batteries for 18v so drain is slower. Also head room for distortion is higher but there was not problem with the 8v on the HR but it;s just there. and 3-the internal DIP switch which can alter the center frequency for each band. The two best combinations to my ear are the old or the new settings. The new default setting in my opinion work best but, the switch is there if you wanna change it Usually I get calls how to go back to how it was made when the loose the instructions.. lol..

Thank you Ken for the detailed information. It’s just incredible that we are able to ask questions and get answers directly from you. I’m falling in love with your basses quickly!

I know there’s people that love vintage instruments and old, aged wood is awesome, but I like newer instruments with all the improvements. The new black tiger elite ones look incredible!

Ken Smith 11-16-2021 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony Baker (Post 28567)
Thank you Ken for the detailed information. It’s just incredible that we are able to ask questions and get answers directly from you. I’m falling in love with your basses quickly!

I know there’s people that love vintage instruments and old, aged wood is awesome, but I like newer instruments with all the improvements. The new black tiger elite ones look incredible!

All basses we make are still made with old wood.

Anthony Baker 11-16-2021 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Smith (Post 28569)
All basses we make are still made with old wood.

That makes me think that getting a new Black Tiger Elite would be as good as any of the older Ken Smith basses then...makes me very happy to think that!

Chasing down the only Black Tiger Elite 5 in Japan right now :D