Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) (http://www.smithbassforums.com//index.php)
-   Smith Basses, Handmade (http://www.smithbassforums.com//forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Hey guys what fretboard is on this BT5 string? (http://www.smithbassforums.com//showthread.php?t=319)

Jon Greenwald 05-23-2007 12:42 PM

Hey guys what fretboard is on this BT5 string?

Take a look at this 1990 BT5...It looks like a Maurado fretboard but I havent seen many BT models that had anything other than Ebony...
Could it be a very light grain of Ebony?

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...Smith5Case.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ith5Bottom.jpg

Tim Bishop 05-23-2007 01:43 PM

Looks like it....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Greenwald (Post 4343)
Take a look at this 1990 BT5...It looks like a Maurado fretboard but I havent seen many BT models that had anything other than Ebony...
Could it be a very light grain of Ebony?

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...Smith5Case.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ith5Bottom.jpg

Nope, based on the photo, definitely not ebony. That would be Pau-Ferro/(Morado). ;) There are a few older Smith's with the Pau Ferro fingerboards out there. I personally have a couple of them. :D

Jon Greenwald 05-23-2007 02:07 PM

How would you describe the difference with the feel and tone compared to ebony?

Tim Bishop 05-23-2007 04:10 PM

Personally....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Greenwald (Post 4345)

Personally, and without hesitation, I'll take an ebony fretboard over Pau-ferro always. Nothing against a Pau-ferro fingerboard; it's just not for my ear. I have a couple sets of older Smiths (identical models), two with the Pau-ferro and two with ebony (again, identical models). While they serve their purpose, there is a difference to my ear as the Pau-ferro fingerboard sounds warmer/softer up and down the neck. I love what ebony contributes: From the fundamental and harmonic, to the tightness in the lows, mids, and highs, up and down the neck. I can't give that same endorsement with the Pau-ferro.

As far as feel? I wouldn't say I "feel" a difference as the neck dimensions are the same, just a different fretboard wood used. I prefer a neck with a Satin finish over lacquered, but I'll use either as long I am achieving the sound I am seeking. ;)

While this is my opinion and everyone has their own, and everyone has that tone they are seeking (developed/matured ear or not), I would suggest you try it for yourself, but my recommendation is to go with the ebony fretboard (gaboon ebony if you can get it). ;)

Jon Greenwald 05-23-2007 04:13 PM

I absolutely agree with your observation 100%..I have allways loved the feel of an ebony fretboard bass..Silky and smooth with a very fast and solid feel..The tone always seemed to be cleaner and more focused also....I just never heard or played a BT with Maurado before but I dont know that it would be my optimal board...
It is one clean 1990 isnt it....The guy says he bought it new and it has been out of the case less than 5 hours total....

Tim Bishop 05-23-2007 04:21 PM

Yep...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Greenwald (Post 4345)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bishop (Post 4347)
Personally, and without hesitation, I'll take an ebony fretboard over Pau-ferro always. Nothing against a Pau-ferro fingerboard; it's just not for my ear. I have a couple sets of older Smiths (identical models), two with the Pau-ferro and two with ebony (again, identical models). While they serve their purpose, there is a difference to my ear as the Pau-ferro fingerboard sounds warmer/softer up and down the neck. I love what ebony contributes: From the fundamental and harmonic, to the tightness in the lows, mids, and highs, up and down the neck. I can't give that same endorsement with the Pau-ferro.

As far as feel? I wouldn't say I "feel" a difference as the neck dimensions are the same, just a different fretboard wood used. I prefer a neck with a Satin finish over lacquered, but I'll use either as long I am achieving the sound I am seeking. ;)

While this is my opinion and everyone has their own, and everyone has that tone they are seeking (developed/matured ear or not), I would suggest you try it for yourself, but my recommendation is to go with the ebony fretboard (gaboon ebony if you can get it). ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Greenwald (Post 4348)
I absolutely agree with your observation 100%..I have allways loved the feel of an ebony fretboard bass..Silky and smooth with a very fast and solid feel..The tone always seemed to be cleaner and more focused also....I just never heard or played a BT with Maurado before but I dont know that it would be my optimal board...
It is one clean 1990 isnt it....The guy says he bought it new and it has been out of the case less than 5 hours total....

Well, it certainly is not my optimal fretboard either (as I've stated), however, yes that is a very nice looking bass and I certainly would not discount it and would jump on it for the right price. ;)

Jon Greenwald 05-23-2007 04:28 PM

What do you think is the right price?

Tim Bishop 05-23-2007 04:40 PM

Right price?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Greenwald (Post 4350)
What do you think is the right price?

Well, IF it is everything he says it is, AND no one has botched/re-routed the electronics cavity (advice: I would request a clear photo if I were you and ask ALL the right questions), and if I am seeing a 3pc. body, I would say around $2.7k (+/- a couple of bills). ;)

Tim Bishop 05-23-2007 04:41 PM

Do you have?

By the way.....do you have photo's of the back?

Jon Greenwald 05-24-2007 07:03 AM

Hey Tim,
Got Back!

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...Smith5Back.jpg

Jon Greenwald 05-24-2007 07:04 AM

What $$$ do you think Ken would charge to replace the fretboard with a gaboon ebony?

Tim Bishop 05-24-2007 07:10 AM

Fretboard replacement...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Greenwald (Post 4362)
What $$$ do you think Ken would charge to replace the fretboard with a gaboon ebony?

Hmmm, it won't be cheap, however, I would suggest you contact Ken on that one. I gotta tell ya, given the condition of this bass, I wouldn't do it.

Jon Greenwald 05-24-2007 07:25 AM

I see your an early bird like me..

Jon Greenwald 05-24-2007 07:25 AM

So why did you move the seismic bass?

Tim Bishop 05-24-2007 07:31 AM

Back view...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Greenwald (Post 4361)

Looks really nice Jon. The core looks like walnut but not 100% sure from the photo. Looks like a 3pc. body....or is there a laminate between the core and top and back that I' not seeing?

Jon Greenwald 05-24-2007 07:37 AM

Good question..It is hard to tell from these shots...I will blow it up at my office..
hey bro,
If I get this bass and decide I really have to have an Ebony board would you swap one of your 5's for this bass?
He says it has been out of the case for a total of less than 5 hours in 17 years and is in showroom new cond..

Tim Bishop 05-24-2007 07:43 AM

Swap?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Greenwald (Post 4367)
Good question..It is hard to tell from these shots...I will blow it up at my office..
hey bro,
If I get this bass and decide I really have to have an Ebony board would you swap one of your 5's for this bass?
He says it has been out of the case for a total of less than 5 hours in 17 years and is in showroom new cond..

Swap, I can't think of a current 5 with an ebony board I would be willing to trade at this time. But, we can take this offline and discuss at a later date.

Tim Bishop 05-24-2007 08:10 AM

Why?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Greenwald (Post 4365)
So why did you move the seismic bass?

A guy from Germany, via the Alembic Forum, contacted me within the last couple of months. He wanted it bad and we worked out an acceptable price, so, I decided it was better to let it go to someone who would make music with it vs. having it continue to sit in my closet and not be used. It is a one-of-a-kind and just a beautiful piece of work, however, the feel of the neck was not for me and I am not a fan of Alembic's "Signature Electronics". Plus, the Smiths just feel better in my hands, so, adios Seismic Bass! :rolleyes:

Albert Smith 05-24-2007 04:41 PM

Sweet Back

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Greenwald (Post 4361)

Great looking bass, it really looks like it has been well taken care of, I'm just curious but what's the asking price for this baby?

Jon Greenwald 05-24-2007 04:51 PM

I just made the deal on the bass and havent even gotten my hands on it yet...
I think it will be a keeper but we shall see..

I will keep you posted...
Thanks