Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) (http://www.smithbassforums.com//index.php)
-   Welcome To SmithBassForums (http://www.smithbassforums.com//forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Old Forum Issue Reports (http://www.smithbassforums.com//showthread.php?t=1982)

Tim Bishop 03-21-2007 05:18 PM

???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner (Post 2153)
I have only 2 modes. In Mode 0 I think in binary. In mode 1 I think in intervals.

Bob, what is this in response to? :confused:

Bob Faulkner 03-21-2007 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Smith (Post 2105)
I'm sure I can try :) One of the hardest parts about being a techie is how to cope with non-techies ;) It's all about communication :cool:

I was playing on the fact that it's very hard to communicate with someone about a subject you know a lot about, with someone who doesn't know much about it.

Take a cpa and have him/her explain tax regulations to me and I'm quite lost as it's not a subject I'm familiar with.

Likewise, if I were to explain the difference between a time division multiplexer and a full adder, or a bipolar-junction transistor and a field effect transistor to the cpa, they would likely be totally lost.

Communication requires a common set of known values. I'm so indoctrinated with computer and electronics related knowledge due to my having a passion for it from youth that I will rattle off something like "12 hex" without any consideration of whether the person I'm talking to knows hex is short for hexadecimal, and beyond that if they know hexadecimal is a base 16 numbering system. So they look at me confused, thinking I mean 12 decimal, when I really mean 18 decimal.

That is the frustration that comes from trying to communicate with those who know nothing about computers. It's the same frustration they feel when they try to communicate with me about something they have extensive knowledge about that I don't.

My primary interests in life are computers(electronics in general and general science to a lesser extent) and bass guitar. Those are my 2 modes of operation. Mode 0, and mode 1.

Tim Bishop 03-21-2007 05:52 PM

Allrighty then....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner (Post 2172)
I was playing on the fact that it's very hard to communicate with someone about a subject you know a lot about, with someone who doesn't know much about it.

Take a cpa and have him/her explain tax regulations to me and I'm quite lost as it's not a subject I'm familiar with.

Likewise, if I were to explain the difference between a time division multiplexer and a full adder, or a bipolar-junction transistor and a field effect transistor to the cpa, they would likely be totally lost.

Communication requires a common set of known values. I'm so indoctrinated with computer and electronics related knowledge due to my having a passion for it from youth that I will rattle off something like "12 hex" without any consideration of whether the person I'm talking to knows hex is short for hexadecimal, and beyond that if they know hexadecimal is a base 16 numbering system. So they look at me confused, thinking I mean 12 decimal, when I really mean 18 decimal.

That is the frustration that comes from trying to communicate with those who know nothing about computers. It's the same frustration they feel when they try to communicate with me about something they have extensive knowledge about that I don't.

My primary interests in life are computers(electronics in general and general science to a lesser extent) and bass guitar. Those are my 2 modes of operation. Mode 0, and mode 1.

Well, that certainly clears that up. Makes perfect sense now! ;)

Mike Smith 03-21-2007 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner (Post 2172)

Very Interesting :)

This year in my computer science class, for the first time I was actually required to know base 2, 10, and 16, and be able to do math in any bass along with converting it back in forth ;) Good stuff I tell you! Kind of like the saying..

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

I'm pretty sure less than 3 people on this forum understood that... btw..

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Now back on topic....

Anselm Hauke, you still having issues posting attachments at times? Is it only with specific images or just at random?

Anselm Hauke 03-21-2007 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Smith (Post 2190)

Now back on topic....

Anselm Hauke, you still having issues posting attachments at times? Is it only with specific images or just at random?

no problems at the moment, thank you mike :). but i didn´t try it again, so i can´t really say if the problems are gone:o...

Bob Faulkner 03-22-2007 12:02 PM

Quote:

This year in my computer science class, for the first time I was actually required to know base 2, 10, and 16, and be able to do math in any bass along with converting it back in forth ;) Good stuff I tell you!

What, no octal? Young whippersnappers not getting a schooling in octal anymore?

Quote:

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There's no place like localhost?

Mike Smith 03-22-2007 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner (Post 2228)
What, no octal? Young whippersnappers not getting a schooling in octal anymore?

There's no place like localhost?

The AP-CS subset does not require us to know octal, so, I guess we're not learning it for that reason, were behind as it is, only got couple more months before AP test roles out, we're studying recursive algorithms as of now.

and yes, no place like localhost aka home :)

Thomas Erickson 06-11-2010 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayne holmes (Post 19222)
Mike, I have Kodak Easy Share. I am sure that it is my lack of know-how, but I can't seem to post my pictures. I can send them via my email, no problem. I am usually directed to change the size. That's where I give up after trying to change the picture size.

I've been thinking about getting another camera, but maybe you can help me from what I said here?:confused:thanks, you're the man:)

I'm not Mike, obviously, but here's an idea - if you use a simple (often free) service like Flickr to host your photos, people can view your sets and choose the sizes that work best for them. Then you don't have to deal with different rules and systems for various forums or whatever.

Anselm Hauke 08-20-2010 08:49 AM

new favicon

i like the new favicon!

Mike Smith 08-20-2010 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke (Post 20045)
i like the new favicon!

I'm glad someone noticed :cool:

Bill Sallee 08-20-2010 09:36 AM

Quote:

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

I'm pretty sure less than 3 people on this forum understood that... btw..

Hi Mike, I'm new here. Please tell us, if only dead people understand hexadecimal, how many people do?

Ken Smith 08-20-2010 10:26 AM

hexadecimal?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Sallee (Post 20049)
Hi Mike, I'm new here. Please tell us, if only dead people understand hexadecimal, how many people do?

Hey, speak English.. please..:eek:

Hexa what?

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke http://www.smithbassforums.com/image...s/viewpost.gif
i like the new favicon!

(Mike)I'm glad someone noticed :cool:
Hey Mike, I noticed as soon as you told me.. lol :D

Mike Smith 08-20-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Sallee (Post 20049)

hah, why do you ask? I had to learn hex/dec/binary conversions in high school comp sci, so I wouldn't say its dead. Unless you're in the computer science field however I don't know where else you would see it.

Bill Sallee 08-20-2010 12:34 PM

Sorry Mike You Missed It

The answer is 57007.

DEAD in hex = 57007 decimal

Mike Smith 08-20-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Sallee (Post 20056)
The answer is 57007.

DEAD in hex = 57007 decimal

Yeah, I really didn't give that as much thought as I should have :p At first I thought you were saying do instead of if.

Cliff Crosby 03-02-2011 01:54 PM

:) Hi Mike , I'm new in the forum but have been friends for some time. I tried to post photos in the gallery with no success . I have photos of a 6 string BT. Custom guitar Ken made for me over 25 years ago which Ken agrees should be included. It literally is one of a kind. The photos were rejected as too large and I'm not even certain of that. Help

Tim Bishop 03-02-2011 04:10 PM

Photobucket...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Crosby (Post 22165)
:) Hi Mike , I'm new in the forum but have been friends for some time. I tried to post photos in the gallery with no success . I have photos of a 6 string BT. Custom guitar Ken made for me over 25 years ago which Ken agrees should be included. It literally is one of a kind. The photos were rejected as too large and I'm not even certain of that. Help

The best way to approach this: Sign-up on an image hosting source such as 'Photobucket' (free and very simple). Once you've signed up, upload your photo's into 'Photobucket' and then you will have options of how you want to display them here or elsewhere.

Here is the Photobucket link:

http://photobucket.com/