Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) (http://www.smithbassforums.com//index.php)
-   Double Bass Talk in General (http://www.smithbassforums.com//forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Holy Smokes - Not Again (http://www.smithbassforums.com//showthread.php?t=904)

Erik Korte 12-25-2008 03:23 PM

Holy Smokes - Not Again

Hi.

I'm looking for my first Bass. The Shen 80 or 100 ply is more or less where I've landed. They used to make these with Gamba corners, but I don't see them listed anymore on their site. Anyone know if they are out there - somewhere?

Also (for fear of starting a newbie "first bass thread") on your forum, do you have any other recommendations in the 2K range?

I'm in Central Virginia, and I've hit Fretwells (which was fun), but $3,200 for a Kay seems nuts. Or am I the nut?

Many thanks & much respect,
Erik

Ken Smith 12-25-2008 05:59 PM

$3,200 for a Kay?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Korte (Post 10190)
Hi.

I'm looking for my first Bass. The Shen 80 or 100 ply is more or less where I've landed. They used to make these with Gamba corners, but I don't see them listed anymore on their site. Anyone know if they are out there - somewhere?

Also (for fear of starting a newbie "first bass thread") on your forum, do you have any other recommendations in the 2K range?

I'm in Central Virginia, and I've hit Fretwells (which was fun), but $3,200 for a Kay seems nuts. Or am I the nut?

Many thanks & much respect,
Erik

Well, that's what the prices on good Kay's are up to these days.

For the lower line new Basses I prefer European over Chinese. I sell the Wultur line and have done well with it. I have in stock from 2007 one Hybrid Euro model. It also comes in the Panormo shape but this one is more like the Corsini. This Bass also has the upgraded varnish as well.

This is what the Euro model looks like since on my webpage I only have the Panormo pictured. I do however have the Euro pictured in the Basic Laminated version which is about $1000 less. The old price for the Hybrid was $2750 and I have just one left.

http://www.jrmusicsupply.com/photos/...m_spirit_f.jpghttp://www.jrmusicsupply.com/photos/...m_spirit_b.jpg

The Bass I have has a beautiful grained carved Spruce Top and sounds great as well. It just needs a home. Come up and play it, please. You wont be sorry. Also, while you are here, you can play all of the others and get a bit of education on the world of Basses as well.

Trix Miller 12-27-2008 04:13 AM

It will take a few years of examining lots of basses and listening carefully to your luthier's advice for you to learn how to identify potential issues or necessary upgrades to a bass. What's more, you'll need to learn what correcting those issues will generally cost. It's pretty rare to find an old bass that doesn't need something...

I think first time buyers running renegade are far better off buying a fully set up, new factory instrument like a Shen or the Calin Wulter. You'll have a great tool for learning. And as you mature as a player, you'll know how to identify the sound you want what to look for in an older instrument.

Gas is cheap. Go see some basses!

Erik Korte 12-29-2008 10:58 AM

Decent, ply & Gamba.
Too much to ask?

Ken Smith 12-29-2008 11:25 AM

Gamba?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Korte (Post 10244)
Decent, ply & Gamba.
Too much to ask?

If the C bouts are wide enough in length then bowing and missing the corners are not a problem. The Wultur Euro is like that in Ply/Lam or in Hybrid of which I have sold both and carry them as well. I have only the Hybrid at the moment as I just sold the Laminated recently. I gave a lesson the other day to the guy that bought the Laminated model and that Bass sounds very good.

Jeremy Darrow 12-29-2008 02:40 PM

Road Trip!

If you're in central VA then you are close enough to Ken, and to Mike Shank's shop for that matter, to justify a bass-related trip or two. I've played a handful of basses from Fretwell and I think you would benefit from visits to other shops.

Jeremy

Ken Smith 12-30-2008 10:03 AM

Shank's?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy Darrow (Post 10246)
If you're in central VA then you are close enough to Ken, and to Mike Shank's shop for that matter, to justify a bass-related trip or two. I've played a handful of basses from Fretwell and I think you would benefit from visits to other shops.

Jeremy

Why do you want to send him to my competition? :mad:
Business is tough enough as it is. :(

Plus, he wont see a Bass Museum of great vintage Basses there like he will at my place, that's for sure. The education of Bass history here in my racks are worth the trip alone.

I sold a Euro laminate a few weeks ago to a HS Senior. Now he is preparing for his College audition. I gave him his first lesson on a Beethoven piece he has to play this past Saturday. Can you get that at Shanks thrown in with the sale? ;)

I don't work by the hour! :p

Richard Prowse 12-30-2008 03:26 PM

Erik, if you're in central VA then you are close enough to Ken, so get over there. Don't bother with any other guys, just go straight to Ken - you'll get a bass history lesson there, and he'll probably throw in a free lesson. Ken's a friend of mine and I can fully recommend him!