Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) (http://www.smithbassforums.com//index.php)
-   Welcome To SmithBassForums (http://www.smithbassforums.com//forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Old Forum Issue Reports (http://www.smithbassforums.com//showthread.php?t=1982)

Matthew Tucker 03-04-2007 05:24 AM

Old Forum Issue Reports

I find there are so many forums here it is difficult to keep track of what is new.

I suggest you merge the OLD Basses into one forum and the NEW basses into one forum etc

Ken Smith 03-04-2007 06:52 AM

'New Posts'

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker (Post 1289)
I find there are so many forums here it is difficult to keep track of what is new.

I suggest you merge the OLD Basses into one forum and the NEW basses into one forum etc

Matt, at the top of every page in the top Bar is a link to "New Posts". You just click that and you will see all the New Posts since your last visit.

The Old Basses and New Basses has separated topics for a reason. These are all separate topics but still all Basses. If a person is trying to get specific info and they are all together, the search can take a long long time sifting thru all the posts and threads to find what he's looking for.

If you have Double Basses opened up with all the Topics shown, it's easy to see what's new there as well.

When I want to talk French, I don't wanna be in Italy or Germany. When I want to talk about a Kay Bass, I don't want to see a Chinese Basses either in the Thread. Kind of defeats the purpose I think.

If you haven't tried viewing it my way as shown in the Link above, try it and let me know how it works for you.

Mike Smith 03-04-2007 02:04 PM

In addition to that.. at the moment, the forum is still in its infancy. Keeping things organized is important because we would like this forum to become a resource to those needing information on double basses/bows etc so keeping things in order is priority for us.

Tim Bishop 03-04-2007 05:13 PM

Mike, you are doing an excellent job and this is a wonderful site! I am amazed at your ability to maintain a consistent service level while providing administrative support.

As this site matures, I look forward to any and all enhancements you deem necessary as I have total confidence in your very impressive abilities.

Keep it up!

Tim B.

Matthew Tucker 03-05-2007 01:45 AM

Quote:

If you have Double Basses opened up with all the Topics shown, it's easy to see what's new there as well.
This is what i was looking for. Thanks. Is that available on the index page somewhere? I couldn't find a way to display all topics like that.

Matthew

Ken Smith 03-05-2007 03:18 AM

not opened?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker (Post 1305)
This is what i was looking for. Thanks. Is that available on the index page somewhere? I couldn't find a way to display all topics like that.

Matthew

Upper right corner of each topic is a double Arrow pointing up (open) or down (closed). Just open all the arrows.

On the home page, I keep it all closed for space and click where I need if posting or look at "New Posts" to see what I've missed.

stan haskins 03-05-2007 11:32 AM

pictures - attachments

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Smith (Post 1278)
At the moment, seems that there is a possibility of a problem with our attachment feature when attaching pictures that are stored on your computer. I would like to know if anyone else is having this issue or, if it works perfectly fine for you.

So far, this has worked perfectly fine for me.

Anselm Hauke 03-06-2007 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Smith (Post 1278)
Please post any problems, issues, or suggestions you may have currently with the forum within this thread, or send me a pm.

When you're reporting a problem, please include any error messages in their exact wording if possible and make sure you tell me what you were trying to do before the error occurred. The faster you guys let us know about whats going wrong, the faster we can work to get it fixed!

At the moment, seems that there is a possibility of a problem with our attachment feature when attaching pictures that are stored on your computer. I would like to know if anyone else is having this issue or, if it works perfectly fine for you.

hi mike, i´ve got problems with the pic-upload
"Error 500 - Internal server error

An internal server error has occured!
Please try again later."

Tim Bishop 03-06-2007 09:32 AM

Anselm, was the filesize of your pic too large (maybe double check that and try again)? Or, maybe a server PM was occuring at the time of your upload?

Anselm Hauke 03-06-2007 09:54 AM

hi tim,
the file is a 1,2 mb jpg, i tried it several times since yesterday evening (GMT).

don´t know if i made something wrong.

Tim Bishop 03-06-2007 10:09 AM

Anselm,

Try using Photobucket as your photo managing site. You'll need to register (it's easy) and then try again using Photobucket to deliver your photo's. Here is the site address: http://photobucket.com/

Also, if you have not read through Mikes Thread "Posting Pics Tutorial" on "Welcome To Smith Bass Forums", you might want to visit that. Mike provided some comprehensive instructions related to this topic.

Tim B.

Anselm Hauke 03-06-2007 10:26 AM

tim,
thank you for all the information, but i just tried to post the pic the same way i did this successful many times (here and at talkbass) before, so i think the problem may be a software problem, not a "human"- problem:)
i´ll try the solution that worked well for me often before with computer-problems: wait one day, and try it again...

Tim Bishop 03-06-2007 10:37 AM

Well, I just uploaded a few files successfully. So, I'm not sure why you would be having a problem with this.

If you would like, I would be happy to walk through this with you over the phone. Let me know.

Anselm Hauke 03-06-2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bishop (Post 1356)
If you would like, I would be happy to walk through this with you over the phone. Let me know.

well, from texas to germany? :eek:
ok, if you call me...;)

Anselm Hauke 03-06-2007 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bishop (Post 1351)
Anselm,

Try using Photobucket as your photo managing site. You'll need to register (it's easy) and then try again using Photobucket to deliver your photo's. Here is the site address: http://photobucket.com/

that´s something i wanted to do anyhow. i´ll try to find some picture-hosting-site in german language

Tim Bishop 03-06-2007 11:04 AM

Upload Pics

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke (Post 1359)
well, from texas to germany? :eek:
ok, if you call me...;)

:eek: Yikes, didn't think of that! Maybe we could IM?

Mike Smith 03-06-2007 08:14 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Anselm Hauke, your not the only guy with that issue. Not sure exactly why some people get these messages and why some don't right now. I do not think it has anything to do with other server things going on, even though it is a server error... I think it may be some incompatibilities with some people's .jpg's and the forum software possibly.. I'm still researching this...

Anselm Hauke 03-07-2007 04:43 AM

thank you mike!
i´m patiently waiting.

Tim Bishop 03-08-2007 01:13 AM

Good luck Anselm, I hope you get this resolved soon.

Anselm Hauke 03-12-2007 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke (Post 1390)
thank you mike!
i´m patiently waiting.

5 days later: i´m patiently waiting:o

Matthew Tucker 03-12-2007 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke (Post 1350)
hi tim,
the file is a 1,2 mb jpg, i tried it several times since yesterday evening (GMT).
don´t know if i made something wrong.

1,2Mb is pretty big for a jpeg upload in most cases.

try resizing your image to 600x800 and save at 75% jpg quality

that should bring it down to a manageable 100k or so ...

Anselm Hauke 03-13-2007 08:52 AM

hi matthew,

thanks for your suggestion.
i don´t think filesize is the problem. 5MB is max. allowed, and i posted bigger ones then the 1,2mb pic.
but i will try to reduce it.

Matthew Tucker 03-13-2007 04:45 PM

the point is, for display on a screen, even 500k is big. 5mb is huge and unnecessary. All the pics on my site are around 75k in size, and unless you need the high resolution it just slows things right down, particularly uploading. Anything can happen in the midde of a big upload.

Anselm Hauke 03-13-2007 05:32 PM

...yes, but: i think in most cases thats ok but i wanted to post big pics in a thread (called: auguste sebastian bernadel; its in the old french sub-forum)
where its important to see as many details as possible. i think its better to judge a bass of disputable origin (if this is possible at all in an internetforum...) if the pics shown are really hi-res.

Bob Faulkner 03-13-2007 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke (Post 1725)
...yes, but: i think in most cases thats ok but i wanted to post big pics in a thread (called: auguste sebastian bernadel; its in the old french sub-forum)
where its important to see as many details as possible. i think its better to judge a bass of disputable origin (if this is possible at all in an internetforum...) if the pics shown are really hi-res.

I was ready to come to your defense on this one as the texture of the woods and other fine details are lost when you scale down a photo to a lower resolution. In this kind of environment I want to see the details, and large files are the only way to get it.

Matthew Tucker 03-14-2007 05:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
compare these two. same size, different compression. One is 530k and the other is 66k. Not a LOT of difference IMO. You couldn't say image 1 is ten times as good as image 2. And image 2 uploads and downloads in a flash ...

Anselm Hauke 03-14-2007 06:12 AM

...okok:)
i resized the pic and was able to post it here:http://www.smithbassforums.com/showt...=1738#post1738

..but again: 5 mb are allowed, i posted some 1 - 1,5mb pics before - why doesn´t it work now? (i just tryed to upload the original pics without success)

Tim Bishop 03-14-2007 11:58 AM

When all else fails, punt!

Bob Faulkner 03-14-2007 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker (Post 1737)
compare these two. same size, different compression. One is 530k and the other is 66k. Not a LOT of difference IMO. You couldn't say image 1 is ten times as good as image 2. And image 2 uploads and downloads in a flash ...

Image 2 looks like it's been run through a blur filter. Subtle details have been washed out. Some of the small nicks and scratches, etc are washed out. The flame and grain patterns in some of the areas of the bass where the contrast lessens is washed out, and almost completely gone in some areas.

High compression is fine for random pics of the kids.

When it comes to these beautiful things, I'll wait for image 1 to download.. Thanks!

Mike Smith 03-14-2007 08:41 PM

As far as compression and jpg's go.. I believe it all has to do with the program your saving it with.. If you can obtain a copy of Photoshop, or PaintShop Pro, you're in good hands as far as saving stuff with great quality and low size. If your using paint, and you need to save with higher quality, it will almost always give you a smaller sized image with not so great quality; you'll notice blotching/blurring on certain elements, and it's NOT a good alternative when you need to post detail such as grain patterns, labels, anything else that people would want to see, etc.

Matthew Tucker 03-14-2007 10:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner (Post 1759)
Image 2 looks like it's been run through a blur filter. Subtle details have been washed out.

It was just an indication. No blur filter, just more compression. Of course bigger files will contain more detail. Its a matter of knowing what the usage is, and where to draw the line.

Maybe these two are better. One file is seven times as big as the other. the only difference is compression level. The detail in both, as far as I can see, is good.

http://www.smithbassforums.com/attac...1&d=1173926421

Tim Bishop 03-16-2007 01:16 AM

Compression....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Tucker (Post 1799)
It was just an indication. No blur filter, just more compression. Of course bigger files will contain more detail. Its a matter of knowing what the usage is, and where to draw the line.

Maybe these two are better. One file is seven times as big as the other. the only difference is compression level. The detail in both, as far as I can see, is good.

Looks great to me!

Mike Smith 03-16-2007 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anselm Hauke (Post 1739)
...okok:)
i resized the pic and was able to post it here:http://www.smithbassforums.com/showt...=1738#post1738

..but again: 5 mb are allowed, i posted some 1 - 1,5mb pics before - why doesn´t it work now? (i just tryed to upload the original pics without success)

That's odd.. So your saying that the batch of original pictures you've taken bring you to a sever error message while when you resized them, the work fine? If you don't mind, I'd like to take some of those pictures off your hands and take a look at them myself, just to see if the same thing happeneds when I try to upload them, or when I modify them and then upload them.

Also, I'm going to take the limit down to 2MB, after further consideration, anything greater than 2MB does sound extreme, only a fairly raw image will need more than that. If you needed assistance uploading a larger image then that, you could send me a email with the images so that I could compress or slice them up into multiple images.

Bob Faulkner 03-16-2007 01:37 PM

but.. but.. what about my PNG files!?!?!

lossless all the way!!

Mike Smith 03-16-2007 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner (Post 1886)
but.. but.. what about my PNG files!?!?!

lossless all the way!!

Yeah, I'm not really a fan of .png or .bmp for the reason of their bulky sizes when .jpg can handle all that while keeping fairly small and with great quality if you've got the software to do that for you.

If you do happen to have a batch of .png files, send em over my way and I'll convert them to .jpg's if you wish :)

Bob Faulkner 03-16-2007 05:51 PM

I was kidding, but I do like PNG's for certain applications. I store my photos in PNG so I always have a lossless original to work from.

Anything that involves limited bandwidth I shoot for jpeg files.

Tim Bishop 03-19-2007 08:51 PM

So much fun.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner (Post 1900)
I was kidding, but I do like PNG's for certain applications. I store my photos in PNG so I always have a lossless original to work from.

Anything that involves limited bandwidth I shoot for jpeg files.

Ahh yes, the Tech environment is soooo much fun! Mike, you sure make it easier on us though.

Mike Smith 03-20-2007 08:11 PM

I Try :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bishop (Post 2042)
Ahh yes, the Tech environment is soooo much fun! Mike, you sure make it easier on us though.

I'm sure I can try :) One of the hardest parts about being a techie is how to cope with non-techies ;) It's all about communication :cool:

Tim Bishop 03-20-2007 10:43 PM

Just like playing music.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Smith (Post 2105)
I'm sure I can try :) One of the hardest parts about being a techie is how to cope with non-techies ;) It's all about communication :cool:

Just like playing music Mike. It's all about communication! ;)

Bob Faulkner 03-21-2007 01:00 PM

I have only 2 modes. In Mode 0 I think in binary. In mode 1 I think in intervals.